Stavanger to Oban - any advice

Tell us where you've been, trade information
mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Stavanger to Oban - any advice

Postby mm5aho » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:51 pm

I'm awa to Eberdeen Sunday (free bus you see), to get a flight to Stavanger to help take a boat back to Oban.
Anything special to know about Stavanger? Unsure of route, see what the weather says, but either Caley canal or "roon the top". Looks like Cape Wrath is about 100 miles further, but no canal restrictions on sailing hours!
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

pagoda
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Jeanneau 42iPerformance

Re: Stavanger to Oban - any advice

Postby pagoda » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:47 pm

Geoff,

I've sailed from Norway to Scotland twice. 2015 and 2017.
First time was Sandnes (Gandfjord behind Stavanger) to Peterhead. That was on our 35ft boat - just myself and my son. It took 54 hours, 260 miles, two full nights at sea towards the end of August. I worked all over the North Sea for 38 years, so I'm familiar with it's moods. It is rarely a fun sailing area. It is very rare you get decent weather all the way across since the sea is just too big, off Norway. My suggestion would be to leave Norway after a cold front/depression has gone through. before the next one has left Iceland!. You may have strong northerlies and 3-4m seas at first. They take a long time to decay in the Northern North Sea. Cold at night is a big problem if you are in the cockpit a lot. Fatigue. Make up flasks of hot tea/coffee in advance in case you can't do anything near a cooker.Ditto oatcakes/sandwiches/bananas etc...ready simple grub. It's well over 350 miles to Inverness.

The shorter crossing we did in 2017, we sailed up to Haugesund (inside Karmoy) and left from there to Lerwick. That was in our 42ft boat, and took us 31 hours for about 180 miles. One night at sea. myself , wife and friend. We left at the end of july and had pretty strong Southerly wind to start off then much less near Lerwick. Then you need to get back from Lerwick!
The further into August you leave it - the shorter time you get between low pressure systems arriving.

Hope you have enough crew and have a good trip.

Graeme

stevepick
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Dufour 40

Postby stevepick » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:42 am

We did Shetland (Unst) to Ålesund in may , fully crewed ( 5 up) 40 ft yacht. With a good forecast we had a reasonable romp over ( it was appx 240 miles in 31 hours). Coming back we sailied from just south of Bergen to Kirkwall with a solid northerly for the first 24 hours , we ended up motorsailing into Kirkwall as the wind died, but still had a 250 Nm run in 38 hrs. The weather was sparkling, now I am sure the north sea can be an appalling place, but the Norwegian weather service seem pretty good ( yr.no) and they give a good coverage of the north sea. You are only going to need a 2-3 day window to get from Stavanger-Scotland. Enjoy, we had a 2 great trips, fantastic summer nights sailing through rigs.

We are bringing the boat back through the caley next weekend.

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:00 pm

Well we got there. Four of doing 4hours on 4 hours off in pairs. A headwind mostly, so a long tack south west knowing wind was to go to south, then a better beat north west, coming in sight of Peterhead first then along coast and wanting to stop first at Lossiemouth, we were knackered so called in to Buckie as first landing. A night there and on to Inverness.
We'd had rain and more rain, winds to 40 knots, seas confused but not huge. Loads of things to bump into, so a keen watch required.
A dodgy bilge pump and shipping water through anchor hawse pipe, and it being a wet boat (Hustler 35) we were soaked. I was seasick for first time in over 10 years! Reefed main all the way, and various amounts of genoa. Passed about 6-10 yachts going other way, only seen at night. A dodgy compass, dodgy autopilot.
Left from Tananger, and about 59 hours to Buckie. Buckie to Lossie was nice at 0600, then Lossie to Inverness a headwind again to 35 knots. Then Inverness the sun came out and fine weather thereafter. Motored into the narrows at Fort George and ran out of diesel in the narrows! Sail up quick, and put some fuel in the tank (carrying spare).
A night in Inverness marina, then through canal to Oban without any drama. (What a difference to the Crinan!)
So. North sea? Think I'll leave it the fishermen and oil people!
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:24 am

We sailed from Out Skerries to Måløy on the way out, and did consider the Tananger option on the way back, but the prospect of two overnights without a windvane put us off that idea. In the event we came back from Kleppevika on Korsfjorden, some miles SW of Bergen.

Both passages took over 37 hours, the shorter return passage being half an hour longer as we had to motor the entire distance.

Was very taken with Norway and would like to go back again sometime. Much as we love the Northern Isles, getting to/from Shetland is a bit of a pain - 37 and a bit hours from Kleppevika to Lerwick and two bloody weeks from Lerwick to Ballachulish because of poor weather........

For us, the canal is certainly an option worth looking at. But can the longer passage justify an investment in a windvane?

++++++++++++++++++++++

BTW, Kleppevika is a nice wee place with visitor berths, only 150kr including electricity.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:36 am

Reading through this thread, I think you are all heroes with a much longer concentration span than I ever possessed.
So - whilst I have sailed numerous times from the UK to Esbjerg and Rotterdam etc - I am not really able to offer much in the way of advice on the Stavanger route - particularly to Oban as the North Sea crossings I have done all came out of either Ull or Arritch.
However - should you require advice on a number of permutations regarding the long and at times dangerous route from Loch Aline to Oban - I'm yer man.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

pagoda
Master Mariner

Postby pagoda » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:43 am

mm5aho wrote:Well we got there. Four of doing 4hours on 4 hours off in pairs. A headwind mostly, so a long tack south west knowing wind was to go to south, then a better beat north west, coming in sight of Peterhead first then along coast and wanting to stop first at Lossiemouth, we were knackered so called in to Buckie as first landing. A night there and on to Inverness.
We'd had rain and more rain, winds to 40 knots, seas confused but not huge. Loads of things to bump into, so a keen watch required.
A dodgy bilge pump and shipping water through anchor hawse pipe, and it being a wet boat (Hustler 35) we were soaked. I was seasick for first time in over 10 years! Reefed main all the way, and various amounts of genoa. Passed about 6-10 yachts going other way, only seen at night. A dodgy compass, dodgy autopilot.
Left from Tananger, and about 59 hours to Buckie. Buckie to Lossie was nice at 0600, then Lossie to Inverness a headwind again to 35 knots. Then Inverness the sun came out and fine weather thereafter. Motored into the narrows at Fort George and ran out of diesel in the narrows! Sail up quick, and put some fuel in the tank (carrying spare).
A night in Inverness marina, then through canal to Oban without any drama. (What a difference to the Crinan!)

So. North sea? Think I'll leave it the fishermen and oil people!

The last line says it all about the Northern North Sea..... basically horrible for small craft at almost all times.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:55 pm

I've sailed an Albin Vega from Stavanger to Peterhead and from Haugesand to Peterhead. Both involved two nights at sea but neither crossing was particularly traumatic - or particularly pleasant. Peterhead is a depressing port of arrival after what feels like a moderately epic voyage, but kit is handy and safe.

Just pick your forecast and go for it.

- W
- Nick 8)

pagoda
Master Mariner

Postby pagoda » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:30 pm

Nick wrote:.
I've sailed an Albin Vega from Stavanger to Peterhead and from Haugesand to Peterhead. Both involved two nights at sea but neither crossing was particularly traumatic - or particularly pleasant. Peterhead is a depressing port of arrival after what feels like a moderately epic voyage, but kit is handy and safe.

Just pick your forecast and go for it.

- W

I think you were lucky.... :)

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:04 pm

pagoda wrote:I think you were lucky.... :)

Na, just prepared to wait for a good forecast. Which is why I would never want to do the Banff-Stavanger race or anything else that requires a strictly timed departure.
- Nick 8)

stevepick
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Dufour 40

Postby stevepick » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:13 am

I think Nick has it right. We had 2 really good trips there and back this summer. What was in our favour was the luxury of time to wait for a good weather window, and we also had the luxury of being fully crewed so we could run 3 watches , which I feel makes a big difference on a passage when everyone gets a 6 hour break.

Return to “Passages and Places”