South past Fladda

Tell us where you've been, trade information
Ghillie
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Sigma 38

South past Fladda

Postby Ghillie » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:54 pm

Alas, time to go south for winter....

Thinking of heading off from Linnhe Marine on Monday, but tides at Fladda/Dorus Mor require too early a start, so contemplating an overnighter near Fladda and an easier passage Tuesday morning to Crinan. Putting aside Easdale, Eilean Dubh seems a good place to anchor. It looks like the southerly approach would avoid the worst of northerly going tide.

Just south of Cullipool also seems an option, although the chart gives a foul bottom and I suspect a bit of a tide to go against. Are there moorings? Not much protection but Monday evening is forecast to be benign.

Having been to neither, are there any views on either?

In the past I have stemmed the tide into the Sound of Luing (once in fog) and am not keep to repeat.

Yours
Roger

Icarus
Midshipman
Boat Type: Whatever I can!

Re: South past Fladda

Postby Icarus » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:58 pm

I've anchored off the dark isles NW of Lunga a few times and always had a good night, although always in fairly light winds from the southern half of the compass. Was last in a few weeks ago and there were multiple boats there, including one that gave up finding a space and left, but that was a weekend in late August so probably less busy by now. Don't put the anchor too close to the shore as there is plenty of weed, in the middle in ~5m seemed clear whenever we've been there though.

Jamie

Ghillie
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Sigma 38

Re: South past Fladda

Postby Ghillie » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:09 pm

Many thanks for the advice. It looks like the place to head for.
Roger

Return to “Passages and Places”