Cuan sound against the wind?

Tell us where you've been, trade information
User avatar
Mavanier
Master Mariner
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:44 pm
Boat Type: Albin Vega, Wayfarer, Graduate
Location: Edinbane, Skye

Cuan sound against the wind?

Postby Mavanier » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:56 pm

Weighing up whether to try going E-W through Cuan tomorrow, from Croabh. Going to have up to a F5 on the nose, in a wee boat with a 10hp inboard that maxes out at about 5kt.
Gut instinct is 'no' but I haven't done Cuan before and just going on pilot book info.

User avatar
claymore
Admiral of the Green
Posts: 4037
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 2:55 pm
Boat Type: Claymore
Location: Northern Hemisphere

Re: Cuan sound against the wind?

Postby claymore » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:12 pm

You will probably be more comfortable doing that than going around Ardluing - the final straight will be a tad lumpy as you exit the sound if the wind is on the nose there but so would Pladda. Where are you headed?
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

User avatar
wully
Yellow Admiral
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:29 pm
Boat Type: sailie boatie
Location: Argyll - where else?

Re: Cuan sound against the wind?

Postby wully » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:25 pm

As Claymore said the nasty bit might be from the exit from the sound over to Easdale if there is any sea running. Don't remember meeting anything like a wave in the sound it's self.

Then again you can't turn back against the full flood ( or ebb) so maybe best to plan towards the end of the flow so you can get back if you don't fancy it.

Or wait for the breeze to moderate.( which is what I'd do if I had doubts)

User avatar
wully
Yellow Admiral
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:29 pm
Boat Type: sailie boatie
Location: Argyll - where else?

Re: Cuan sound against the wind?

Postby wully » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:27 pm

wully wrote:As Claymore said the nasty bit might be from the exit from the sound over to Easdale if there is any sea running. Don't remember meeting anything like a wave in the sound it's self.

Then again you can't turn back against the full flood ( or ebb) so maybe best to plan towards the end of the flow so you can get back if you don't fancy it.

Or wait for the breeze to moderate.( which is what I'd do if I had doubts)
Wait a day and catch the easterlies..

User avatar
Mavanier
Master Mariner
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:44 pm
Boat Type: Albin Vega, Wayfarer, Graduate
Location: Edinbane, Skye

Re: Cuan sound against the wind?

Postby Mavanier » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:11 am

Thanks. Wait and see sounds good, catch the end of the tide gate by which time the wind should be easing. Just means we won't get very far on the other side, but we weren't going to anyway with that forecast.
Heading back to Skye, eventually.

User avatar
ash
Yellow Admiral
Posts: 1706
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:14 pm
Boat Type: Moody 346
Location: Tarbert, East Loch Tarbert, Loch Fyne, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Cuan sound against the wind?

Postby ash » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:24 pm

We went through last summer, a lot less than F5 on the nose, but found the exit lumpy. Vega with 13.5 hp.

Link - http://www.bluemoment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9623

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

User avatar
wully
Yellow Admiral
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:29 pm
Boat Type: sailie boatie
Location: Argyll - where else?

Re: Cuan sound against the wind?

Postby wully » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:51 pm

Mavanier wrote:Thanks. Wait and see sounds good, catch the end of the tide gate by which time the wind should be easing. Just means we won't get very far on the other side, but we weren't going to anyway with that forecast.
Heading back to Skye, eventually.


Where are you heading? I might leave Ardfern tomorrow or Friday for a wee sail. Thinking of heading round Mull via Tobe since I've not been for while.

User avatar
Mavanier
Master Mariner
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:44 pm
Boat Type: Albin Vega, Wayfarer, Graduate
Location: Edinbane, Skye

Re: Cuan sound against the wind?

Postby Mavanier » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:35 pm

Well here we are in Kerrera, after a lovely sail! Took Wully's advice and waited till the end of the tide, when the wind had also moderated. Anchored off Dog Castle for lunch which gave us time to asses conditions, and watched a stream of boats coming the other way, which suggested it must be alright on the other side. Sure enough there were some big rollers just after the ferry, but we punched through and ended up with a cracking sail.

Our friend who left in the morning was a little less fortunate, grounding north of the Cleit and resulting in a lifeboat shout, although he did get off by himself and seems to have emerged unscathed.

Thanks to Wully for the very sound advice. Off to Tobers tomorrow, then Mallaig. Any forumites in the area?


Return to “Passages and Places”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests