Gigha dilemma

Tell us where you've been, trade information
Storyline
Master Mariner

Gigha dilemma

Postby Storyline » Wed May 31, 2017 10:49 am

Hello all
Long time no see as sailing has taken a back seat for the past year for body falling apart type reasons but now back at the helm again :)

Anyway, we are currently in Port Ellen and blessed with sun and want to go over to Gigha but there are fresh (F5-6) south easterlies forecast for overnight. I know Gigha (Ardminish) is a rolly pig in an easterly but wonder if we would get some protection anchored in the lee of the reef that comes out (the one with the buoy on the end).

Any comments would be appreciated - thanks.
Paul
Sailed in the Tall Ships Race on Storyline ? http://www.facebook.com/YachtStoryline

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Re: Gigha dilemma

Postby mm5aho » Wed May 31, 2017 12:41 pm

I've anchored in the next bay north from Ardminish. Its shallow a long way out if I remember, but better protected from the SE. And then there's a small bay on the NW corner. Lunched there once in an Easterly.

Geoff
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

wully
Old Salt
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Wed May 31, 2017 8:12 pm

I avoid Gigha with anything east in the forecast..

I've no experience of anchoring in the bays on the west side but want to try sometime..

Glad you are back onboard, often paddled past Storyline and wondered where you were, hope we'll meet up soon.

Storyline
Master Mariner

Postby Storyline » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:15 pm

Decided against it in the end and went back to the Ardmores where the skerries offer reasonable protection from the south east. In two weeks we spent 7 nights in there as we decided to make the most of being down in the south. As per usual we unfortunately witnessed a yacht running onto the 1.1 rock just north east of the entrance. I think every time bar one we have been there we have seen someone hit one rock or another. It may be that it has a reputation as apart from one boat in the south west end we had the place to ourselves every night.

We have also anchored at the top of Gigha - we call it the Queen's beach as apparently it was a favoured spot for the royal yacht Britannia to anchor. It is a useful spot in settled weather as you can anchor on ether side of the isthmus as wind dictates.

Thanks for the kind words Wully :) It was a wrench to leave Ardfern to come home - have to find a way to make a permanent move northwards.
Sailed in the Tall Ships Race on Storyline ? http://www.facebook.com/YachtStoryline

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:46 pm

The two bays on either side of the doirlinn to Eilean Garbh are fine for overnight anchoring. The north bay gives good protection from SE. Both are in the Antares pack.

We have also anchored overnight in Craro Bay, again covered by Antares, but felt a wee bit uncomfortable about it.

Return to “Passages and Places”