Help with mooring location

Tell us where you've been, trade information
Kenneth Mcgrew
Midshipman

Help with mooring location

Postby Kenneth Mcgrew » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:33 pm

Hi,

i live in the south west, and for as long as i have known have been sailing in some form or another, usually rental boats in the med, BVI etc, i have a coastal skipper and various other sea quals but i am still yet to get a boat.

i am seriously looking for a boat currently with roughly £15k to spend but its the mooring costs, i like convenience of hopping in the boat and heading off when i want rather than waiting for tides to line up in drying out areas although i would consider it if it meant a cheaper mooring.

As i mentioned i live southwest, ideally i would like a mooring near weymouth / lyme regis / southampton this kind of region but at first glance trying to calculate all costs up i am looking at 5k a year just on mooring which is a bit out of my reach realistically as there is maintenance of the boat and everything else on top of that.

am i just being unrealistic hoping to find some kind of mooring for less than £200 a month? or £2500 annually? the boat i would like is less than 10m but most places i see prices for are 400-500 per metre!

any help is appreciated - swinging moorings, ill consider most things i just need to know where to look as im a bit lost currently, all the well known places are expensive!!

please share some knowledge :)

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Re: Help with mooring location

Postby Nick » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:10 am

HI Kenneth,

Welcome to BlueMoment. Although by no means everyone does, the majority of poster on this forum live and sail in Scotland, so knowledge of the Weymouth area will be relatively sparse I'm afraid - but please do stick around, as you will get loads of advice and help with anything less area-specific.

All I can say is that if you were in Scotland you could easily get a mooring for £200 a month, and we don't even bother with drying moorings up here - there is plenty of deep water. I realise that isn't much consolation though, as you probably don't want to move to Scotland!

Have you posted on YBW's Scuttlebutt forum?

Kenneth Mcgrew wrote:Hi,

i live in the south west, and for as long as i have known have been sailing in some form or another, usually rental boats in the med, BVI etc, i have a coastal skipper and various other sea quals but i am still yet to get a boat.

i am seriously looking for a boat currently with roughly £15k to spend but its the mooring costs, i like convenience of hopping in the boat and heading off when i want rather than waiting for tides to line up in drying out areas although i would consider it if it meant a cheaper mooring.

As i mentioned i live southwest, ideally i would like a mooring near weymouth / lyme regis / southampton this kind of region but at first glance trying to calculate all costs up i am looking at 5k a year just on mooring which is a bit out of my reach realistically as there is maintenance of the boat and everything else on top of that.

am i just being unrealistic hoping to find some kind of mooring for less than £200 a month? or £2500 annually? the boat i would like is less than 10m but most places i see prices for are 400-500 per metre!

any help is appreciated - swinging moorings, ill consider most things i just need to know where to look as im a bit lost currently, all the well known places are expensive!!

please share some knowledge :)
- Nick 8)

Return to “Passages and Places”