Oban Bay Transit Marina

Tell us where you've been, trade information
marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Oban Bay Transit Marina

Postby marisca » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:43 pm

From RHYC via CCC
We have been advised that on 9th December from 09.30 to 17.30 there will be a pre-application consultation event held at The Argyllshire Gathering Halls, Breadalbane Street, Oban.

The community company ,Oban Bay Marine, has been campaigning for nearly 10 years for a transit berthing facility in Oban. The Council, under the energetic project management of Kirsteen MacDonald, have taken this over and aim to have the approx. 36 berth facility in place during next summer. Obtaining the Marine Licence is a vital part of the process. Evidence that the public have been consulted is very important to the granting of that licence.

We have circulated an email to our members to make them aware of this consultation as it was only notified in the Oban Times on 3rd November. As this would also benefit many of your members we thought you would like to know.

Any members of the public who wishes to comment on the Oban Transit berthing facility must do so directly to Kirsteen MacDonald (Oban council) at Kirsteen.macdonald3@argyll-bute.gov.uk, mentioning the Marine (Scotland) Act advert in the Oban Times of 3/11/16, otherwise Marine Scotland won’ t accept the comment as valid.

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Re: Oban Bay Transit Marina

Postby mm5aho » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:31 pm

I noted this too (from another source).
I don't see a planning application yet on Argyll and Bute Council's website, but there is old info from the 2012 application.
There seems to be a huge volume of correspondence on the topic, including some from those in this forum. But the details are not shown on that website any more.
Wonder how it all fits in with Oban Marina and its difficulties?
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:39 pm

The transit pontoons and Kererra should be entirely separate. The big benefit to Oban should be making it easier for cruise ships but as they mostly disgorge their punters into waiting tour buses, I'm not sure what that benefit will amount to. We'll see.

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 41C

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:01 am

If I was a betting man, I would bet that 35 of the berths will be filled permanently with locally owned crap prohibiting the use of the facility as a transit pontoon. The locals will justify the change in use because the transit use will be low.

I also think it will affect Oban Marina as those who transit Oban, as far as I can tell, use their facility.
BlowingOldBoots

What time does the 24hour garage close?
http://www.rivalowners.org.uk

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Postby cpedw » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:02 pm

You're all talking as if this is about to happen. Remember, this is Oban and they've been discussing it for only about 20 years...

The transit moorings by the sailing club were busier this year. I don't know how effective the tariff collection is.

Derek

mm5aho
Old Salt

Postby mm5aho » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:27 pm

Last year I left my boat for 2 weeks on the Oban moorings. (between 2 races) Paid in advance, and was no problem. I did ask them about the extended period, and they were very helpful.
Geoff.

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:31 pm

The plans I saw looked promising.

The bod showing me the plans seemed to think it would happen soon.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

mm5aho
Old Salt

Postby mm5aho » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:27 am

What's the latest on the Oban Marina at Kerrera?
I heard recently (perhaps not reliably) that it was sold and to a fish farm and therefor unlikely to be a marina again?
The fish farm story was going about a while back but seems to haven been revived?
Geoff.

cpedw
Old Salt

Postby cpedw » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:16 pm

No such news on their website http://www.obanmarina.com/news.asp
There was discussion at WHAM AGM about the transit marina. Should it sell diesel? It was mentioned that Kerrera is (looking into?) getting a fuel barge.
Derek

cpedw
Old Salt

Postby cpedw » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:16 pm

cpedw wrote:You're all talking as if this is about to happen. Remember, this is Oban and they've been discussing it for only about 20 years...
Derek

I may yet have to eat my words. There's a notice in this week's Oban Times about the couincil's application to marine Scotland for permission to park the pontoons by the North Pier.

Derek

Return to “Passages and Places”