Database for port information

Tell us where you've been, trade information
bethan

Database for port information

Postby bethan » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:21 pm

I have just started a database for useful port information. This difference being that it is specific and data driven as opposed to a sailing diary or scattered over different forums. I would really appreciate information entered on the site http://www.cruisinglogs.org.uk.
If you are able to add other port information , this would improve the foundations of this new site . We are hoping to add functions such as such by user and the ability to upload photo attachments. And are currently in touch with the Cruising Association re: endorsement of the site.
Thanks once again
Bethan Rees

little boy blue
Old Salt

database

Postby little boy blue » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:08 pm

just had a quick look at her site - not very user friendly imo.
i notice the cheeky besom doesn`t give a link back here either :roll:

deepstar
Midshipman

Ports database

Postby deepstar » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:10 am

You can get the complete Worlds Port database World Port Index (Pub 150)
at

http://www.nga.mil/portal/site/maritime/

Then take the Publications option on the Left

In the ListBox then go to the bottom and select World Port Index

this is
he World Port Index (Pub 150) publication contains the location, characteristics, known facilities, and available services of major ports, shipping facilities and oil terminals throughout the world (approximately 64,000 entries). The data in this publication is mostly tabular and new editions are published bi-annually. This publication is available in its entirety on the website and there are also database queries available for all of the port information contained within

Available as a PDF or as a MS-Access data set.....

Hope this helps.

Tim
S.Y Entre Deux Mers

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:33 am

I wonder why anyone thinks there is a need for such a product/service when there is already plenty of information.
They seem to start off as a well intentioned project but then in relying on the goodwill of contributors fall quickly into just another incomplete record. Noonsite is a case in point. I wonder if there is EU funding for a group of committed blue-momenters to undertake a 10 yr project to supply such information?
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

I don't understand . . .

Postby Nick » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:03 am

You appear to have started a database with no data.

Surely you have some cruising logs or information of your own to add to get the ball rolling? If not, then why on earth have you embarked on such a project?

I'm sorry, but expecting people to build a website for you so you can then capitalise on it in some way is an internet business model that rarely works IMHO - you will need to put in a little more effort.
- Nick 8)

Return to “Passages and Places”