Salen Jetty

Tell us where you've been, trade information
ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Salen Jetty

Postby ash » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:41 pm

Sitting on a pontoon finger here, in the sun and a stiff afternoon breeze.

Came in yesterday afternoon, and staying here again tonight.

Have had a walk up the hill, lunch on board, then an ice cream from the shop.

This is a great privately owned facility.

http://www.salenjetty.co.uk

Ash

Edit I've just realised that there is a Salen on Mull too, but I'm talking of the one on Loch Sunart.
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Re: Salen Jetty

Postby claymore » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:40 am

According to the BBC weather presenter you should have been sat in 28 degrees of baking sunshine with no breeze.

Not been into Salen since about 1998 - I was rather taken by the place - we walked to Acharacle where the Macalmans were playing - brilliant evening and then got a bollocking by the grumpy old sod who used to run the moorings for landing on his slipway. We were actually paying him for the use of his mooring!
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby ash » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:49 am

claymore wrote:According to the BBC weather presenter you should have been sat in 28 degrees of baking sunshine with no breeze.

Not been into Salen since about 1998 - I was rather taken by the place - then got a bollocking by the grumpy old sod who used to run the moorings for landing on his slipway. We were actually paying him for the use of his mooring!

Jan is working very hard to lay the ghost of the G.O.S. , she comes down to the pontoon to take your lines, and goes out in her dinghy to help with a mooring / greet you on to a mooring.

I hadn't studied a forecast, but there was plenty of breeze. Not sure how local it was. It blows into the mouth of the small bay.

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

Greyfisherman
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Etap 32s

Postby Greyfisherman » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:37 pm

It's two years since I was last at Salen Jetty on their pontoon - - the first time would be a year earlier when Jan and her family had not long been there and they just had the buoys in the bay to welcome visiting sailors too.

I phoned ahead to say would a buoy be available and she said she go out and put a marker on the buoy to reserve it and if I wanted help into the bay just to phone - and she'd be there to guide to the buoy.

I sat on the buoy for two days, went ashore to the hotel and for walks it's a delightful place.

On the third day I decided to go up to the head of the loch through the narrows - picked up a mooring opposite the hotel, nice but lacked the atmosphere of Salen - went back to Salen that night when the tide allowed through the narrows.

It was a delight next day to sit on the boat and watch the children back from school don their wetsuits and go diving off the end of the jetty into the cold waters of the inlet. They later came over to me and offered to catch me a mackerel - yes I said - - off they went to attach their dory to another buoy - within 30 minutes they were back and in their bucket was a shining large mackerel.

Sometimes in cruising you encounter hardworking people who have just decided to go for it - in the hope they can provide a living for their family in a good environment.

All they've done is from the "sweat of their own brow" and they deserve to succeed.

steveyates
Midshipman
Boat Type: bradwell 18 & westerly longbow

Postby steveyates » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:54 am

Aye the pontoons and the showers are great.

But the hotel bar! Fine enough at start of the evening, but closing at 10 cos there are only a handful left drinking? blimey that.

Return to “Passages and Places”