EU 90 Day Rule Post Brexit for British Citizens, UK 180 Day Rule For EU Citizens

Tell us where you've been, trade information
BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 41C

EU 90 Day Rule Post Brexit for British Citizens, UK 180 Day Rule For EU Citizens

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:49 am

This is not a political comment piece or Brexit comment piece.

Currently the UK has an odd situation that will come into force post Brexit. EU citizens can stay in the UK for 180 days and British citizens can stay in the EU for 90 days on a tourist visa based on an offer that the UK has made to the EU. The Cruising Association have asked members to consider signing a petition requesting the UK government to ask for equity with the EU i.e. they too will offer 180 days to British citizens (or 90 days).

The Cruising Association is concerned that they have many members who will be disadvantaged by being limited to 90 days in the EU. Indeed some have claimed that the first leg of an Atlantic crossing could force departures based on time limits as opposed to weather windows. Personally, I am not so sure how this impacts my own situation. I will be visiting the EU, post Brexit, for work purposes but likely on a business visa instead of a full work visa in the country concerned. In my case it could eat into my 90 day allowance and then impact potential vacation options. Again personally, as I near retirement, I plan on EU cruising, so 90 days will limit me. Hence, I have signed the petition asking for an equal treatment offer to be made by the UK.

Maybe this is something you could support?

https://www.change.org/p/mps-demand-6-m ... e46194245a

The information on the impact of Brexit by visiting UK sailors is very well explained on the Cruising Association Website, RATS section. Unfortunately it is accessible only through membership. If you have a boat in the EU or ar considering long term cruising in the EU, the information really should be consulted. For example they have the 90 day calculator, it's not straight forward counting 90 days and examples from the extended cruising community how the 90 day rule is currently managed. Sorry about membership only, but that is the way it is.
BlowingOldBoots

What time does the 24hour garage close?
http://www.rivalowners.org.uk

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Re: EU 90 Day Rule Post Brexit for British Citizens, UK 180 Day Rule For EU Citizens

Postby claymore » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:15 pm

It is an interesting situation. Yet another reason why we should never be leaving but there we go.

My travel insurance policy only allows me 23 days in any trip abroad and I've never quite found out how to alter that - I could change companies but age and health combine to develop some eye watering premiums.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Return to “Passages and Places”