Port Bannatyne update

Tell us where you've been, trade information
pagoda
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Jeanneau 42iPerformance

Port Bannatyne update

Postby pagoda » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:21 pm

For those of you not doing Facebook....

We came down from Rhu to Port Bannatyne last night. Intended to use the Marina as the forecast wasn't nice. The marina looked very busy and as it was blowing 25+ we thought stuff it we'll anchor. We went about 100m North of the entrance - past a ferrocement boat on a mooring. About 8m of water. We put out 35m+- of 10mm chain (Knox on the end!) took a good bite - holding OK.
It gusted 30+ all night off and on. No issues. Really sticky chewy mud. Great stuff. So if you keep clear of old moorings - some of the holding N of Port Bannatyne marina is really good.. :D

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Re: Port Bannatyne update

Postby claymore » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:34 pm

How do we avoid this becoming an anchoring thread?
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

pagoda
Master Mariner

Postby pagoda » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:36 pm

It's not one of these :anchor !!

Just an unexpectedly useful bit of good holding in a place I'd never tried :thumbsup:

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:21 pm

claymore wrote:How do we avoid this becoming an anchoring thread?

Don't mention the scope. I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it alright.
different colours made of tears

pagoda
Master Mariner

Postby pagoda » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:48 pm

Glad you got away with it.

We call the hoolie that often blows through Rothesay and Port Bannatyne Bay "The Rothesay Hurricane". The rest of around Bute can be quite OK, but that patch off Rothesay towards Ardyne can be horrible!

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:32 am

Silkie wrote:
claymore wrote:How do we avoid this becoming an anchoring thread?

Don't mention the scope. I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it alright.

What do you mean by Scope, Silkiepoos? - it it something to do with length or breadth or just how far you can take things?
Regards
Claymore

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:52 am

pagoda wrote:Glad you got away with it.

We call the hoolie that often blows through Rothesay and Port Bannatyne Bay "The Rothesay Hurricane". The rest of around Bute can be quite OK, but that patch off Rothesay towards Ardyne can be horrible!

We have spent a fair amount of time in Port Bannatyne over the last couple of seasons and would take Pagoda's statement further : It appears to be a lot calmer in Rothesay bay than PB a lot of the time, We blame the Ettrick Bay venturi. It can be 'daring' to leave the pontoon only to find relative calm once out of Kames Bay. The other downside observed is that the cloudbase tends to be lower up the East Kyle than anywhere else in the vicinity. We often found ourselves sitting in a dreich wheelhouse looking back at sunhine over Troon and asking the question...
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:09 pm

sahona wrote:
pagoda wrote:Glad you got away with it.

We have spent a fair amount of time in Port Bannatyne over the last couple of seasons and would take Pagoda's statement further : It appears to be a lot calmer in Rothesay bay than PB a lot of the time, We blame the Ettrick Bay venturi. It can be 'daring' to leave the pontoon only to find relative calm once out of Kames Bay. The other downside observed is that the cloudbase tends to be lower up the East Kyle than anywhere else in the vicinity. We often found ourselves sitting in a dreich wheelhouse looking back at sunhine over Troon and asking the question...

The question being "Can you imagine sailing up the East Kyle in anything other than a Claymore.....?"
Regards
Claymore

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:01 pm

I've also anchored at the west end of Kames bay, but think that it drops off really fast - a bit like anchoring at the west end of Holy Loch - a mudflat with a precipitous drop at east edge.
But I've still done it at both places. But then, like Pagoda I have a good anchor! :lol:
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

Return to “Passages and Places”