Ignorance

Tell us where you've been, trade information
BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 41C

Ignorance

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:58 pm

Incredible! The Shetland people want their wind swept and barn islands shown correctly on maps, fair enough. However, a random selection of Scottish People in Edinburgh when asked where Shetland was and to point on a map, did not know and could not point to them on the map. I guess there is no point in addressing the map placement issue as no one knows where they are anyway.
BlowingOldBoots

What time does the 24hour garage close?
http://www.rivalowners.org.uk

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Re: Ignorance

Postby marisca » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:25 pm

I reckon half of Edinburgh's populace don't know where Leith is.

Alan_D
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Westerly Konsort

Postby Alan_D » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:51 pm

BlowingOldBoots wrote:Incredible! The Shetland people want their wind swept and barn islands shown correctly on maps, fair enough. However, a random selection of Scottish People in Edinburgh when asked where Shetland was and to point on a map, did not know and could not point to them on the map. I guess there is no point in addressing the map placement issue as no one knows where they are anyway.

But surely you are missing the point - it is because Shetland appears inconsistently on maps of the UK many people are confused about its true location.

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:11 pm

I learned when I was young what the UK looked liked on a map, curiosity and geography at school. Seeing the islands conveniently placed in a box on a map, say next to Orkney does not make me believe that they are actually just to the east or west of Orkney.
BlowingOldBoots

Jonas
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Konsort

Postby Jonas » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:21 am

The boxes are also often at a different scale from the main map, making the islands look smaller - Orkenys as well as Shetlands.

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:41 am

Jonas wrote:The boxes are also often at a different scale from the main map, making the islands look smaller - Orkenys as well as Shetlands.

Maybe A3 and smaller paper sizes should be made illegal.
BlowingOldBoots

steveyates
Able Seaman
Boat Type: bradwell 18 & westerly longbow

Postby steveyates » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:35 pm

marisca wrote:I reckon half of Edinburgh's populace don't know where Leith is.

Thats what they tell their wives anyway when home from work late on fri nights

pagoda
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Jeanneau 42iPerformance

Postby pagoda » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:36 pm

I have visited both Shetland and Orkney (and Fair Isle) so I have a good idea where they are. :) (Decent distance from the Clyde- or Norway)
Perhaps not everybody should be visiting, they would be over-run, but Bluemoment folk certainly should try to have a trip up there at some point. The BBC attitude :shake: towards map distortions way exceeds the "correct dimensions ,but incorrect location" seen in print .

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:53 pm

I used to live and work in the north (Elgin) and a girl in our office, in her mid 20s had never been as far as Aberdeen or Inverness in the other direction. I suspect there are many Scots who know very little Scottish Geography.
Here in Cumbernauld today, I had some ask me "Hey Geoff, You're originally from New Zealand aren't you? ".. "Yes" I replied... "why?"
"Well I'm having a holiday in Melbourne and wondered what it's like".

I refrained from telling him that I lived on the New Zealand side of the Sydney Harbour bridge.
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Etap 30

Postby DaveS » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:20 pm

Some years ago someone - I think Radio Shetland - printed tee shirts with a map of Shetland and the rest of the UK shown in a wee insert box...

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:29 am

pagoda wrote:I have visited both Shetland and Orkney (and Fair Isle) so I have a good idea where they are. :) (Decent distance from the Clyde- or Norway)
Perhaps not everybody should be visiting, they would be over-run, but Bluemoment folk certainly should try to have a trip up there at some point.

Yes, Lerwick is a lot closer to Bergen than the Clyde or even Oban. When we were there last summer, I'd guess that the majority of visiting yachts in Lerwick were Norwegian, although, oddly enough, I don't think we saw any elsewhere in Shetland. It was rumoured that most came for the bonded liquor and then sailed home again.

In the other islands, AFAIR, all, or almost all the visiting yachts were from Scotland.

I certainly agree about vising Shetland. The sailing is excellent although we were always a bit nervous of the roosts and went to great pains to get the timing right. While the west coast had, reportedly, a awfy wet summer last year, Shetland and Orkney were, for the most part, dry and sunny although pretty cool (we could "see our breath" on several July days).

Our original plan was to head back north this year starting at the beginning of May, but that is now on hold until at least well into the second part of May, so not really sure about what we'll be doing.

Orkney and Shetland reminded me of my climbing days - climbing in a new area with different rock was always a bit intimidating until you found the "key". The sailing key up there is getting comfortable and confident with the tidal roosts.

Return to “Passages and Places”