Hynish, Tiree?

Tell us where you've been, trade information
Mavanier
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Albin Vega, Wayfarer, Graduate

Hynish, Tiree?

Postby Mavanier » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:24 pm

Hoping Geoff might be able to help answer this one.

Is the wee drying harbour at Hynish usable? We only draw 1.2m with the keel up.

wully
Old Salt
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Re: Hynish, Tiree?

Postby wully » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:07 pm

It's pretty full of sand and the crane that lowered the storm boards in has gone.. There has been talk of re instating the flushing sluice but as far as I know it's just talk.
When I was there last October I doubt you'd get much more than a dinghy in.

If it was very calm you could lay alongside the pier or anchor in the bay off the end.

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:50 pm

I was there last in August 2011, and anchored for a night off the end of the pier. It was very calm. We'd just come back from Skerryvore, having spent the day there and landing on that rock to explore the lighthouse.
The "drydock" built for servicing lighthouse service vessels was full of sand (see pic), and the boards for the end are gone, and the crane for using them also gone, as Wully says.
You might lie alongside the stone pier in calm weather drawing very little, but we didn't, preferring to anchor in safety just off. We don't draw much more than you and our keel is fixed. But then its almost as wide as it is deep!. You can get an idea from these pix.
I think you'd need to be on the end of the pier and its shape isn't great for that, being a bit rounded with steps. Alongside the long walls might be better?

Why it was snowing in August I'm not sure!!
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Rhu in winter, Gourock in summer.

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 41C

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:53 am

Such a strong looking harbour and in a good state of repair considering how old it is. A testament to the Stevenson's as engineers and the skill of the builders. This is the sort of thing that the Scottish government should be helping with. If this harbour was returned to specification, leisure boats might visit the area. Probably would fill up with local boats, a bit like North Berwik, no room to swing a cat.

Google Earth has additional good images that show some details as well as the satellite image which shows the refraction of waves around the headland.

https://www.google.ru/maps/place/Hynish ... d-6.897815
BlowingOldBoots

What time does the 24hour garage close?
http://www.rivalowners.org.uk

Return to “Passages and Places”