Fuel Situation

Forum for those participating in the Chentleman's Cruise 2009, April 30 - May 4
claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Fuel Situation

Postby claymore » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:00 pm

I'm thnking if we topped up in Carlisle we'd make it back to there ok on a tank - wise precaution or is the situation not as bad as it reads?
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

tcm
Old Salt

Postby tcm » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:21 pm

it's a two-day strike and starts this weekend (i think) so should be over by the time we go?

Oops silly me - i have just realised that you are praps going up a couple of hours AFTER me the following weekend so of course there won't be any fuel left at any of the fuel stations regardless.

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:37 pm

Heimat! I think it will be a while before supplies are back to normal here, particularly as the company started shutting the site down some days before the start of the strike. What with all the levers to pull, and big valve wheels to turn, burn-off flares to re-light, I wouldn't be surprised it takes several days after the cessation of hostilities before the hale clamjamfrey's up and running again.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

We're all doomed . . .

Postby Nick » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:46 pm

I believe Grangemouth ocujld be shut down for as long as a month as the management are not going to start it up again until they get a firm settlement - no point in spending a week firing it up then the union says they are going out again.

A friend of mine who works for Total told me that a 'black start' at Grangemouth coujld take up to ten days.
- Nick 8)

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Re: Fuel Situation

Postby Telo » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:54 pm

claymore wrote:is the situation not as bad as it reads?

Probably pretty mixed. It is said that the North of England and Scotland have sufficient fuel provided people don't "panic buy". We haven't bothered for the last few days, but had noticed longer than usual queues at stations.

However, Mme Shard filled up with diesel today, without any apparent difficulty.

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:42 pm

I had a rant, but erased it as it grew beyond reasonable boundaries.
Suffice to say, we, Joe Public, have the coastguard, teachers and oilies on strike (or causing mayhem). UK Ltd. is losing millions a day, innocent families are being messed around, God forbid there is a bungled CG incident. Are we going back to the days of Red Robbo and McGachie?
How can we and the country recoup damages from these people (both sides)?
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:44 pm

Sorry , maybe I should have done that elsewhere
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

turnipsock
Midshipman

Postby turnipsock » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:04 pm

I used to work at Grangemouth.

I'm not sure what is going on though. It takes ages to shut down the place, so the workers must have to say to the management that they are going on strike and are presumably being paid while they do a shut down. Meanwhile not much is getting produced. Then they have to spend ages getting the thing up and running again. A two day strike costs the management about a months production...that is a great trump card to play.

I was in Grangemouth today and didn't have any problem filling the car other than parking on the wrong side of the pumps.

Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Postby Booby Trapper » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:17 pm

There was a bit of panic buying at the beginning of the week which saw long queues and some garages running out. I've passed about 7 or 8 garages today and haven't seen any problems. I did stop at one to fill up. The guy on the till said they just had a delivery but expected some problems again next week as there are to be no deliveries Sunday or Monday.
You could bring along a few gallon cans just in case.
Good luck

Return to “CC 2009”