CC08, boat rental and winter heating allowance

Forum for those participating in the Chentleman's Cruise 2009, April 30 - May 4
tcm
Old Salt

Re: still thinking about it.

Postby tcm » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:47 pm

The CC08 runs from about 3pm on the friday of the May Bank holiday (fri 2nd i think?) to the Sunday evening. We have to give the boat back on the monday and get home. The boat is booked firm, name of Eloise, from Alba Sailing in Oban, google for it.

The skipper is harmless enough and as long as you don't noticeably endanger the (albeit only slight) possibility of the deposit being refunded i reckon you can do pretty much whatever you fancy. However, i believe that (even) if push comes to shove the skipper will only call a reef when speeds exceed 20 knots, tippy boat or otherwise, so perhaps hide the engine keys and offer to "adjust the sails" when in fact you intend to take in two reefs regardless.

I thought that the best strategy might include the appointment of Para as Official Sailing Master, giving us someone else to blame for any too-slow sailing, and I am hoping that Fleet Admiral Vasco de Claymore may also be able to give us the benefit of his very detailed knowledge of all the dangerous rocks. I am going to be responsible for Afternoon Tea, i think, and I might even do a breakfast or two as well, all under the auspices of Muzzy Carruthers as Maitre D'hote. As usual, Ljs is Chief Cynic. Ashore, we are all going to hide behind you if that Shard starts looming over us due to our dastardly sailing tactics, cos you are even more loomy than he is.

Oh, and it is Fecking Cold! Even if sunny, you need thermals, overtrousers, the lot.

ljs
Old Salt
Boat Type: Sadler 34

Postby ljs » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:46 pm

As chief cynic I'd just like to point out that the whole thing will probably be a complete disaster. In which case I'll be at Glasgow Airport waiting to witness it. Especially as I have an 80 pound discount. Seem to remember tcm bet me 107 pounds I couldn't name that tune in one - so actually I'm travelling for free...

BigNick
Master Mariner

Postby BigNick » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:21 pm

Thanks for the tip Jim, but Prestwick is a worser journey to Oban than Glasgow, unless you know something I don't.

tcm
Old Salt

Postby tcm » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:17 pm

BigNick wrote:Thanks for the tip Jim, but Prestwick is a worser journey to Oban than Glasgow, unless you know something I don't.

Jimi knows the tune to "Donald where's ma troosis" so it's possibly not that bad a trip?

Anyway, two cars will be going past glasgow airport, and each has to pick up the Biggest Person they can find hanging about outside, which will ensure that it's BigNick and LJS. Obviously, we will time things to ensure that the vehicles arrive at the airport at almost the exact same moment as the planes touch down. Or same day at least.

Or rent a car if you like, whatever.

Of course, the easiest option is to Not Go, a strategy actually invented by lord of the board hereabouts, and this year being tested by Claysie who has decided to spend the entuire season in the boatyard seeing how many people he can engage in conversation prior to going to the pub with them, and thereby stop them launching as well.

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:27 pm

Assume you are aware of the new pickup arrangements at Glasgow since the Smeaton flaming wagon incident? There do not appear to be any signs for passengers and cars are hustled along PDQ. need to agree a plan I think.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Why not . . .

Postby Nick » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:39 am

Do it in style and take the seaplane to Oban straight from the centre of Glasgow?

- Nick 8)

tcm
Old Salt

Re: Why not . . .

Postby tcm » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:29 pm

Ooh. I t says it's £149 return. Can't find schedule tho...

BigNick
Master Mariner

with regret

Postby BigNick » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:49 pm

Chentlemen,

Having now completed a full feasibility study, including:
    - cost/benefit analysis
    - draft project plan
    - risk assessment
    - cultural assessment

I have concluded that I shan't be able to attend. This is without even discussing the matter with SWMBO.

We are also away in Devon the following weekend for an important social engagement.

The final clincher is the current weather preventing any decent sailing on our own boat so the bank holiday in May is going to be our next opportunity.

Hope you all have an enjoyable time!!

moresteamcphail
Able Seaman

Postby moresteamcphail » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:33 pm

Huv ye room fur wan mair? Ah think that ah kin get a passoot fur that weekend?
Ah canna captain,the biler wilnae take it!

tcm
Old Salt

Postby tcm » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:37 pm

moresteamcphail wrote:Huv ye room fur wan mair? Ah think that ah kin get a passoot fur that weekend?

well maybe. Dya know others on the forum? I'd say yes, but some of the crew are choosy or grumpy. There's also arsey, whiskery, and gingery.

bilbo
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Cutlass27

"If you've time to spare, go by air...."

Postby bilbo » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:02 pm

This is whit's wanted http://www.lochlomondseaplanes.com/?action=oban by any deep-pocketed big saft jessies frae ra deep sooth.

Jist fly intae Abbotsinch ( Glasgow International - EGPF ) oan wan o' they bizniss twinjets. There's a Jockinese forumeer-in-anither-place does this stuff oan a big Cessna Citation X http://citationx.cessna.com/ fur a' they rock stars, WAGs an' wealthy divorcees, an' a'. Ah'm sure he'd dae ra same fur a big Sassunach wi' enuff wee reddies.

Then its yon wee bus intae Glesca - or a stretch limo, if wantin' to go incognito - an' either take Ra Great Wee Heilan' Train tae Oban frae Queen Street, or get aff at Govan Road fur ra airyfloatplane, in next tae ra auld UC Shipbuilders. Ye'll no' be needin' ony runway, 'cos ra pilot jist has tae dodge yon big CalMac boats birlin' aboot everywhaur. An' he knows a' ra pubs furra lockins.....

Nae bother, an' that.....

( Aw, herr'nit! Jist noticed that yon OberGruppenFuhrer Nick has been in an' done a 'droit de seigneur' tae get in furst. 'Sno fair an' 'sno right.... )

Return to “CC 2009”