Weather and the Mariner Survey

Forum for general chat / discussion on weather related issues
tsmethurst
Midshipman

Weather and the Mariner Survey

Postby tsmethurst » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:03 pm

Hi,

I am a student studying Navigation and Maritime Science and I am doing a study on how mariners engaged in leisure sailing obtain weather forecasts for the UK waters. Therefore I would be very grateful if you could answer the questionnaire by following the link below.

If you are interested in participating in the survey then please follow the link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/F5BGZ37

The survey should take no longer than 5 minutes.

All responses will be treated with the strictest confidence and you will not be required at any point to give your name or any other details.

If you have any questions or comments on the survey, or if you wish to know more about the research then please do not hesitate to contact me. This can be done by private messaging me, replying to this thread or emailing me at tom.smethurst@students.plymouth.ac.uk .

I am incredibly grateful to all those who take part in the survey.

Thank you,

Tom Smethurst

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Re: Weather and the Mariner Survey

Postby marisca » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:56 pm

You could discriminate between models - UKMO, GFS, ECMWF etc, - and the distribution media. In UK, Coastguard VHF, Navtex, BBC all use the same UKMO forecast.

tsmethurst
Midshipman

Re: Weather and the Mariner Survey

Postby tsmethurst » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:45 am

Thank you Marisca for your comments. You are right about discriminating between forecast models by the organisations you have mentioned and it is a discussion which does feature in my background science review. I have not included this in my survey (rightly or wrongly) as I was trying to keep the survey fairly concise.

Cheers

Tom

Last bumped by tsmethurst on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:45 am.

Return to “WeatherChat”