Isle of Mull

Forum for general chat / discussion on weather related issues
User avatar
Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 3486
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:55 pm
Boat Type: Hurley 22
Location: Bonnie Scotland
Contact:

Isle of Mull

Postby Silkie » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:53 pm

Just like to put in a request for F4 on the beam (regardless of course steered) and sunshine, for the coming long weekend.

:pigswillfly

It's early days yet of course but Friday looks good for a run up to Tobermory while Saturday looks a bit ugly. The GFS based forecast I'm looking at shows SE 6 and 7 for most of the day, easing off on Sunday.
different colours made of tears

User avatar
ljs
Old Salt
Posts: 395
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:43 pm
Boat Type: Sadler 34
Location: Fanny's Bay, County Donegal

Postby ljs » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:01 pm

Yes saturday looks a bit ugly - and wet.
It's clearing up nicely tho for monday and tuesday...er, damn

SE6 not too bad tho for a run up the Sound of Mull
Or am I a day behind?

User avatar
Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 3486
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:55 pm
Boat Type: Hurley 22
Location: Bonnie Scotland
Contact:

Postby Silkie » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:36 pm

ljs wrote:Or am I a day behind?

Possibly - although I assume Eloise will sail late on Friday afternoon. Or you could come up to Tobers with Silkie (and the tide) and join the big boat bad boys there.
different colours made of tears

User avatar
ljs
Old Salt
Posts: 395
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:43 pm
Boat Type: Sadler 34
Location: Fanny's Bay, County Donegal

Postby ljs » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:24 pm

If that's the forecast, probably means a run upto Tobermory friday would be followed by a day stuck in Tobermory saturday? What about Loch Aline friday leaving a short sail to Tobermory saturday in iffy weather. Just a thought.
Think I might be waiting for the others in Dunstaff as I'm not sure a charter boat is allowed to sail without a Head Cynic..

User avatar
Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 3486
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:55 pm
Boat Type: Hurley 22
Location: Bonnie Scotland
Contact:

Postby Silkie » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:54 pm

Seems a bit daft to restrict one day's sailing so that the passage can be continued on an iffier day?

I'd thought that if we were to be stuck anywhere, there are worse places than Tobermory. A SE wind will probably be accelerated up the Sound.
different colours made of tears

User avatar
ljs
Old Salt
Posts: 395
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:43 pm
Boat Type: Sadler 34
Location: Fanny's Bay, County Donegal

Postby ljs » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:06 pm

Each to his own!
A short blast downwind in a 6 or 7 in the protected sound would beat a day of inactivity for me!

User avatar
Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 3486
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:55 pm
Boat Type: Hurley 22
Location: Bonnie Scotland
Contact:

Postby Silkie » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:18 pm

Whaddya mean - inactivity? It's a big island and Loch Sunart might also be a possibilty on a possibly breezy Saturday. In any event, I'd rather make miles when I can.

Starting to sound just like a Cruise Director.

:shock:
Last edited by Silkie on Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
different colours made of tears

User avatar
ljs
Old Salt
Posts: 395
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:43 pm
Boat Type: Sadler 34
Location: Fanny's Bay, County Donegal

Postby ljs » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:23 pm

True Sunart would be a possibility.
Just don't want you getting too far ahead!

garredfox
Master Mariner
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:05 pm

cruise director

Postby garredfox » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:13 pm

Silkie did you not know YOU are the Cruise Director.

:D

:sailing:
the other half

User avatar
Telo
Admiral of the Red
Posts: 2456
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:27 pm
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot
Location: Bampotterie-sur-mer
Contact:

Postby Telo » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:03 am

ljs wrote:A short blast downwind in a 6 or 7 in the protected sound would beat a day of inactivity for me!

Forecast, schmorecast, it won't be like that. The big map things wi' the isobars say different. I think....

Anyway, disnae matter, cos these are sheltered waters...........

Harramph!

User avatar
claymore
Admiral of the Green
Posts: 4067
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 2:55 pm
Boat Type: Claymore
Location: Northern Hemisphere

Postby claymore » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:50 am

Sunart would be fine - perhaps just to Salen and park there - we could all watch as Shard ran through his Loch Teacups routine one more time.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

User avatar
Telo
Admiral of the Red
Posts: 2456
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:27 pm
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot
Location: Bampotterie-sur-mer
Contact:

Postby Telo » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:32 pm

claymore wrote:we could all watch as Shard ran through his Loch Teacups routine one more time.

Right.

jim.r
SWS
Posts: 863
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:49 pm
Boat Type: Moody S38

Postby jim.r » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:22 pm

Dinnae fash fersell, Ah'll rescue you.. being in an unsinkable bilgekeeler, ye ken

User avatar
Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 3486
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:55 pm
Boat Type: Hurley 22
Location: Bonnie Scotland
Contact:

Hmm..

Postby Silkie » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:21 pm

xcweather is now showing SE 6 and 7 for Saturday and Sunday but Simon says 5 on Saturday and 4 on Sunday. Well, if there's a choice..

I notice Simon hasn't linked his forecasts here this week. Do you think he's fallen out with us?
different colours made of tears

User avatar
claymore
Admiral of the Green
Posts: 4067
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 2:55 pm
Boat Type: Claymore
Location: Northern Hemisphere

Postby claymore » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:41 pm

I reckon he's hedging his bets - probably knows full well there's a shedload of wind and rain coming our way and hasn't the heart to tell us as we've been so good in welcoming him here plus there's all his book sales....
Regards
Claymore
:goatd


Return to “WeatherChat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest