Weekend Weather Forecast 14/4/11

Forecasts and WeatherWebTV news from our resident weather guru Simon Keeling

Moderator: weatherman

Weather Guru

Weekend Weather Forecast 14/4/11

Postby weatherman » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:22 pm

Hello again,

Thanks to all of you who are using SWIS. Take a look for yourself at http://www.sailingweather.co.uk Forecasts are free and updated 3xper day. This service is developing all the time and I’ll be announcing some further enhancements soon.

I’ve had many requests for more Weather School dates and hope to have these firmed up in the next couple of weeks so I will let you know.

Onto the weekend forecast, and if you know anyone who’d like to receive this email each week just tell them to send a request to join to
sailingweather-subscribe@weatherweb.net Also, feel free to forward this email to onto any sailing friends or groups.

Have a good weekend,

Issued: 1300 Thursday 14th April 2011

High pressure is going to be centred to the southwest of Ireland at midday on Saturday as a weak occluded front pushes southeast through the country.
There is likely to be a fair amount of cloud around on Saturday morning, and although breaking up, the front may be strong enough still to produce a few spots of drizzle over the Welsh Hills and the high ground to the Midlands. This feature will fade into the afternoon though with the sun breaking through the cloud.
Elsewhere it is going to be generally dry and the cloud is going to be breaking further with more sunny spells coming through the cloud. The only exception is likely to be the far northwest of Scotland where the warm front may just brush sufficiently close to the coasts to produce a few spots of drizzle.
Winds will be generally W-NW 5-8kt (F2-F3) although sea breezes are likely along southern coasts. More generally W-SW 12-14kt (F3-F4) for western Scotland and perhaps to 20kt (F5) in northern Scotland.
Visibility should be good overall although moderate in any drizzle in the far northwest of Scotland.

The area of high pressure dominates the weather across the whole of the UK and Ireland on Sunday. The main forecasting question is the amount of cloud that will be associated with the high.
At the present time I favour the idea of the high actually being dry and so very little cloud, allowing for some long spells of sunshine and fine weather lasting for many throughout the day. Having said that there will be some cloud bubbling up through the day, I suspect most through the Midlands and northern England, with the atmosphere unstable enough to produce an odd shower over the hills in these areas I the afternoon.
Elsewhere across the country it should be staying fine throughout, and will become warm too.
Winds mainly E-ESE 4-10kt (F2-0F3) in the south, although along southern coasts speeds could be to 15-18kt (F4-F5), towards the north the winds more S-SSW 7-12kt (F3-F4).
Visibility will be good, although there could be some early morning mist and fog patches inland at first which will reduce the visibility here to moderate or poor.

Simon Keeling, PhD MSc, FRMetS
My new book The Pocket Weather Forecaster is out now. Read sample pages here.

Return to “The Weatherman”