Weekend Weather Forecast 7/4/11

Forecasts and WeatherWebTV news from our resident weather guru Simon Keeling

Moderator: weatherman

weatherman
Weather Guru

Weekend Weather Forecast 7/4/11

Postby weatherman » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:05 pm

Hello again,

Have you missed me? Hope you have made the most of the fine weather in the last couple of weeks? Typical, I escape for some Atlantic sunshine and the weather turns fine here at home :)

Thanks to all of you who are using SWIS. Take a look for yourself at http://www.sailingweather.co.uk Forecasts are free and updated 3xper day. This service is developing all the time and I’ll be announcing some further enhancements soon.

I’ve had many requests for more Weather School dates and hope to have these firmed up in the next couple of weeks so I will let you know.

Onto the weekend forecast, and if you know anyone who’d like to receive this email each week just tell them to send a request to join to
sailingweather-subscribe@weatherweb.net Also, feel free to forward this email to onto any sailing friends or groups.

Have a good weekend,
Simon

WEEKEND WEATHER FORECAST
Issued: 1300 Thursday 7th April 2011

SATURDAY
An area of high pressure is expected to be to the east of the country through Saturday, although influencing the weather over all parts of the UK and most of Ireland. A cold front is going to be edging eastwards into the west of Ireland through the afternoon.
There will be some morning mist and fog patches in more rural inland areas on Saturday morning, England being most prone to these. Any mist or fog patches will be clearing away quickly though to leave the morning fair with good spells of sunshine throughout. In fact, it should be remaining fair into the afternoon with more sunshine and only limited amounts of cloud. Visibility should be good.
Over Ireland cloud is going to be increasing as the cold fronts encroach eastwards. This may produce a few showers in the west and south of Ireland later in the afternoon, and the cloud is likely to be increasing across western Wales and southwest England towards evening. It will stay dry in these areas though with visibility remaining good.
Winds will be mainly SE 4-8kt (F2-F3) but increasing in the west to be SE 10-14kt (F3-F4) and then 12-17kt (F4-F5) in Ireland later, and perhaps for western Wales and southwest England by the evening. The flow more E’ly through the English Channel with sea breezes possibly developing on southern coasts later.

SUNDAY
The anticyclone is going to be ‘squeezed’ to the east through Sunday and the effect of this will be to allow the cold fronts to cross eastwards through the country overnight. However, the fronts will be very weak affairs, bringing little more than an area of cloud, and perhaps some patchy rain in the west.
For most the day is going to be one of more cloud, although still with that being broken and some sunny spells coming through. The best of the sunshine tending to be across southern parts of England.
Slopes facing westwards over western Scotland, western England and Wales will tend to have more cloud in the morning, with the threat of some patchy rain early on. However, as a ridge of high pressure builds behind the cold front these areas will become much brighter into the afternoon with sunny spells.
Visibility should be good for all, although perhaps moderate at first in the rain over western slopes.
Winds ahead of the cold front will be SW 7-10kt (F2-F3) but W 8-12kt (F3-F4) behind the front. Becoming more SW 8-12kt (F3-F4) over Ireland.

**ends**
Simon Keeling, PhD MSc, FRMetS
My new book The Pocket Weather Forecaster is out now. Read sample pages here.
http://www.weatherweb.net
http://www.weatherschool.co.uk

Return to “The Weatherman”