Weekend Weather Forecast 30/12/10

Forecasts and WeatherWebTV news from our resident weather guru Simon Keeling

Moderator: weatherman

weatherman
Weather Guru

Weekend Weather Forecast 30/12/10

Postby weatherman » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:08 pm

Hello again,

I hope you have had a fantastic Christmas and are looking forward to the New Year.

It is a busy start to 2011 for me. In January I’ll be one of the experts lecturing in the Knowledge Box at the London Boat Show. The Boat Shows have been very proactive in their support for the SWIS forecasts for this I would like to say 'thank you'.

The Sailing Weather Information Service (http://www.swis.org.uk) is growing and I am delighted to announce that a major marina group are to take forecasts specifically for their marinas from 1st January 2011. SWIS is expanding all the time and, thanks to your feedback, additional information is being added. Thank you for your continued support, please spread the word about the forecasts.

Looking ahead I’ll be running special sailing weather webinar sessions in the New Year, each lasting one hour and focussed on a particular topic. If there is anything you would like covered, please let me know.

Onto the weekend forecast, and if you know anyone who’d like to receive this email each week just tell them to send a request to join to
sailingweather-subscribe@weatherweb.net

Have a good weekend,
Simon

WEEKEND WEATHER FORECAST
Issued: 1500 Thursday 30th December 2010

NEW YEAR’S DAY
A cold front will be passing southwest through the country through Saturday. This is going to be a weakening feature but will bring a narrow band of cloud and rain with it. Winds may gust as the front moves through.
Ahead of the front conditions are likely to be staying cloudy, with some inland mist. There could be a few spots of drizzle on the hills, but overall it should be dry.
As the front passes showery rain is possible, this possibly turning to sleet over high ground, and perhaps bringing a dusting of snow the hills of Northern Ireland, Wales and the Midlands and southern England.
Following will be much brighter but cooler weather. Sunny spells are likely to develop, although snow showers affecting northern and eastern coasts of Scotland, as well as the North Isles.
Winds will be mainly NE 6-10kt (F3) ahead of the cold front, then turning N-NW 12-15kt (F4-F5) as the front passes, increasing NW 18-23kt (F5-F6) across northern and eastern Scotland.

SUNDAY
On Sunday high pressure is going to be centred to the west of Scotland. The area of high pressure extends a ridge eastwards through the country, with a north to northwest flow affecting eastern coasts.
For most of the country the day is going to be fair, although it may take some time for the cold front, a feature hanging over from Saturday, to finally clear southwest England and Ireland. There will be some rain and sleet associated with the cold front, and I would not completely rule out the possibility of some snow here too.
A few snow showers affecting eastern coasts of England, these focussed through East Anglia.
Winds mainly N 8-12kt (F3-F4) but NW 14-18kt (F5) along eastern coasts of England and Scotland.

***ends***
Simon Keeling, PhD MSc, FRMetS
My new book The Pocket Weather Forecaster is out now. Read sample pages here.
http://www.weatherweb.net
http://www.weatherschool.co.uk

Return to “The Weatherman”