Spam

What's new on BlueMoment
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Spam

Postby Nick » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:36 pm

Looks like a lot of bots are getting round the activation email and managing to register and post. It;s a recent thing but has affected all foru gboards that I currently run.

I've added an anti-spam question to the registration screen instead of the easily crackable CAPTCHA (numbers and letters thingy). We'll see how it goes.

I loath spammers more than any other group I reckon. No fate is too bad for them. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :spam
- Nick 8)

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Re: Spam

Postby Silkie » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:29 pm

I was surprised to find one this morning that had posted on nearly every section and wondered what had gone wrong with the manual approval.
we can be heroes

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:34 am

Feeling smug this morning.

First attempt at installing the anti-spam mod didn't work because it required a numerical answer. I've replaced it with a question requiring an answer in words and the silence is awesome. I was trying to get onto phpBB's own community forums this morning to post a 'how-to' on this but they seem to be down - no doubt from the same tsunami of spam that hit three of my four currently active boards over the weekend.

I reckon if I could get in touch with all the affected boards - there will be thousands - and offer a quick fix at £50 a pop I could buy a nice boat in a few months.

Fantasy over now - nose back on grindstone . . .
- Nick 8)

damo
Able Seaman

Postby damo » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:57 am

Nick wrote:... offer a quick fix at £50 a pop...

Hey referee! Foul! What about the GNU public license, and opensource philosophy hmmm? :lol:
Warrior/Challenger/Voyager Informal Owners "Club" at longkeel35.org.uk

Return to “Site News”