Whats On updated

What's new on BlueMoment
Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:53 pm

Clyde_Wanderer wrote:Thanks Silkie, but maybe I should be a bit more specific with my questions?

Perhaps I need to be more specific with my answers.

The CC is an annual event on the first weekend in May and the limits of it's range so far have been Loch Sunart in the north and the Sound of Islay in the south. I first took part in 2005 and 2006 was another good year. 2007 was a bit of a washout (blowout more accurately) with Silkie and Avilion running for home after one night in Puilladobhrain in the face of a forecast for F9. 2008 was another classic year and was discussed on the CC forum. Did you see tcm's account?
we can be heroes

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:27 pm

Thanks Bill.
Spose you're right, I can hardley make it in time for out SB wk end at Cumbrae, not alone getting way out to the sticks in time.
These guys might be able to consume vast quantities, but cant handle the class of quality we are used to. :lol:
Cheers, C_W

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:44 pm

Silkie wrote:
Clyde_Wanderer wrote:Thanks Silkie, but maybe I should be a bit more specific with my questions?

Perhaps I need to be more specific with my answers.

The CC is an annual event on the first weekend in May and the limits of it's range so far have been Loch Sunart in the north and the Sound of Islay in the south. I first took part in 2005 and 2006 was another good year. 2007 was a bit of a washout (blowout more accurately) with Silkie and Avilion running for home after one night in Puilladobhrain in the face of a forecast for F9. 2008 was another classic year and was discussed on the CC forum. Did you see tcm's account?

Thanks Silkie, I must have been typing at the same time as you, as your reply wasent there when I read Bills.
Does sound like a good laugh providing the weather holds out.
My sailing commrades and I were discussing heading that way for our 09 annual venture seeing as the trip to NI dident materialise this year, although one of the guys has suggested the IOM, but thats not my pot of tea, prefer a bit of the wild and wonderful scenary up that way.
Thanks again, C_W

Pete Cooper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Micro Gem 550 Super Yacht

IOM

Postby Pete Cooper » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:04 am

Me and my gang are hopefully heading to the IOM the first weekend in May next year. There is a round the IOM race on the Sunday that we are planning to enter - one of my regular crew lives in the IOM and is a member of a local club. If the weather is decent it should be fun.

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:17 pm

It is possible to bring my little ship up to Oban/Croabh, but I don't know if I will. Largs was a good trip, and it was worth it to grab the week on Loch Lomond in the same trip too.

It's only a little boat, even compared to the other trail tailors we cruised with on the Clyde, and it's a bit scary going the other side of Kintire compared with the Clyde, even it it's not that much different in reality.

And a lot of weather that would make me stay put would be doable if maybe a bit uncomfortable for bigger boats, I wouldn't want to hold you back. (or feel like Billy no mates when you all sod off and leave me) :lol:

We will see.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby Silkie » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:34 pm

Only a few inches less LOA than Silkie and significantly greater LWL and besides, the CC has a fine tradition of passage planning (and altering!) to suit the smallest cruiser.
we can be heroes

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Etap 30

Size matters?

Postby DaveS » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:05 pm

aquaplane wrote:It's only a little boat, even compared to the other trail tailors we cruised with on the Clyde, and it's a bit scary going the other side of Kintire compared with the Clyde, even it it's not that much different in reality.

And a lot of weather that would make me stay put would be doable if maybe a bit uncomfortable for bigger boats, I wouldn't want to hold you back. (or feel like Billy no mates when you all sod off and leave me) :lol:

If it's any encouragement, my first round Mull trip (the nominal, and yet to be achieved, objective of most of the CC jaunts) was undertaken as one of a crew of 3 in a Caprice which, IIRC, was about 18 ft long. Below decks was decidedly cramped! Fortunately we had mostly good weather, and some wonderful memories - like dropping the ship's fork overboard at Eigg and recovering it with a fishing line before a crab could make off with it...

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Size matters?

Postby Silkie » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:20 am

DaveS wrote:dropping the ship's fork overboard...

Is this some nautical term beyond my ken or did you really only have one fork to share between three?
we can be heroes

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Etap 30

Re: Size matters?

Postby DaveS » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:18 pm

Silkie wrote:
DaveS wrote:dropping the ship's fork overboard...

Is this some nautical term beyond my ken or did you really only have one fork to share between three?

Afraid so. I think we started with more, but they seemed to dissapear...

Return to “Site News”