Autohelm ST50+ Wind Display

Post your boaty wants here
marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Autohelm ST50+ Wind Display

Postby marisca » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:34 pm

Do any of you kind souls have such an object lurking in an odd corner, probably after you fitted a suit of new super-dooper, canbus enabled, all singing, all dancing, sail the boat for you replacements? I have a masthead unit and it appears to produce the right outputs but somehow between losing the old MHU and the start of the season the display seems to have taken umbrage. Borrowing one would be a huge help or the transfer of beer vouchers in exchange.
And before you tell me that real sailors don't need such toys, I agree, but it saves me cricking my neck at night and can stave off that unwanted decapitational gybe.

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Re: Autohelm ST50+ Wind Display

Postby mm5aho » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:58 pm

It might be repairable.
My son seems to have fixed the St30 depth / speed one that was faulty on Contender. Was a burnt diode. Transducers were OK, proven by re-fitting old one with the hard to read display, but works.
Now just have to swap them back.
What's not working with yourn?
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:22 am

Unfortunately the analogue circuits scope out ok as does the MHU. The signals then disappear into a multi-pin IC and I ain't equipped with either the equipment or the ability to chase them further.

I've had a couple of wee sails without it and the boat still goes. A couple of strands of wool on the shrouds is probably a much better aid and doesn't suffer from hysteresis.

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:44 pm

It's truly amazing how much kit you don't need to go sailing.
we can be heroes

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Thu May 01, 2014 10:42 am

While rummaging about in the dpeth of an underbunk locker at easter, I found a big lump of lead.
I pulled it out, and the funny rust stained bit of rope that was attached, that someone had left with knots all in it.

Then I noticed that the knots were at 6 ft intervals; 1 knot, then 2 knots, 3 etc. And what i thought was chewing gum sticking to the bottom of the lead lump!

Ah! standby echosounder complete with sophisticated bottom sampling mechanism to determine sand, rock or week as anchorage. All in good old fathoms to match those pen engraved admiralty charts from the 50's we have on board.

Marisca: if you end up with a dead display unit needing potential repair, let me know, I know someone who loves solving electronic mysteries.
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

Return to “Stuff Wanted”