Sailing Yacht Cradle For A Rival 41C

Post your boaty wants here
BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 41C

Sailing Yacht Cradle For A Rival 41C

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:06 pm

Hi,

I am looking for a cradle for my Rival. She will support herself quite easily sitting on her encapsulated keel, so anything from a base plate with two side bars to a full blown multi legged cradle will be considered.

There was one in Inverness for sale in TOP which was suitable and the seller offered it to me on first refusal after I made an offer to buy it however, they have not got back in touch again, despite a few PMs sent.

So, I am on the lookout again. It would preferable if the cradle can be dismantled for transportation in a car trailer and handled manually.

Thanks,

Alastair
BlowingOldBoots

What time does the 24hour garage close?
http://www.rivalowners.org.uk

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Re: Sailing Yacht Cradle For A Rival 41C

Postby wully » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:19 am

Have you asked Tenamast in Beith? I think he's still making cradles.

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:06 pm

wully wrote:Have you asked Tenamast in Beith? I think he's still making cradles.

Thanks Wully, I have looked them up and now given them a call, they will send out a quote. Perhaps a new cradle is best.
BlowingOldBoots

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:06 pm

The lowest cost new cradle I could find in the UK was from Tenamast who quoted £1400 including delivery to Largs from Ayrshire. This was a 6 legged, fixed based, undercoated cradle i.e. it could not be broken down for transportation by car, trailer. A 6 legged, sectional cradle from Tenamast, which can be transported in the back of a Volvo Estate, or trailer, costs £1995 incl vat. Again this was the lowest cost I could find.

Now, Tenna actually quote for an 8 leg cradle and I queried why all the other companies quote 6 leg. This is the reply: -

We have been made aware of other companies offering smaller cradles in the past to try and be more competitive with their prices. This started when the new edition of the Yacht Harbour Association layup guidelines changed a few years ago, they used to specify a 6 support cradle for yachts up to 40ft and 8 support up to 50ft, this is now not part of the guidelines but many marinas and insurance companies still work to this guide. This is the reason we have stuck with this guide.

This doesn’t mean that our cradle is any weaker than any other companies cradle, our 6 support is as strong if not stronger than the cradles that other companies offer.

So if you are in the market for a new cradle, you may find that Tenamast in Ayrshire provides the lowest cost amongst all the UK cradle suppliers at least for a 41' LOA, 10 Tonne, yacht.

In the end I bought a second hand cradle on eBay for just over half the cost of a new one.

Regards,

Alastair
BlowingOldBoots

bilbo
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Cutlass27

Postby bilbo » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:30 am

You might care to have a look at Jacobs cradles http://www.jacobsboatcradles.com/price-list.html

I have two of the second size, c/w base spreaders.

Return to “Stuff Wanted”