Great Photo Needed For Oil Painting

Post your boaty wants here
tbertram
Midshipman

Great Photo Needed For Oil Painting

Postby tbertram » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:20 pm

:)Hi everyone

I need help! One of the growing areas of my business is commissioning high quality oil portraits of boats/yachts. I´ve shown examples of our work to two well known sailing and boating magazines and both are keen to take me up on my offer of offering up a boat Portrait as a Reader Prize in their mags. The one snag is that they want to show a high resolution image of the photo submitted to base the portrait on, as well as the resulting portrait.

Alas, the portraits we´ve done to date don´t have a high enough resolution image to reproduce in the magazines. Does anyone have a high resolution photo of their boat that could go into a magazine?

If, on the off chance, you like the sound of having a portrait of your boat done, (it can also be of you and your boat) have a really good clear photo we could use, and will allow us to use both the photo and resulting portrait in our promotional material (no names will ever be mentioned), then I´d be delighted to commission your portrait at cost price.

If you´d like more details, I´d be so happy to hear back from you.

Best wishes

Tim
tim@fabulousmasterpieces.co.uk

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:28 pm

Hi Tim, sounds like a really great idea. I know that your post is really a thinly disguised advert, but, so what? Anyway, never mind the magazine competition, I actually rather fancy having a portrait of Shard done in oils.

But there are certain considerations;
    1 How much will it cost?
    2 Can you paint and frame a picture to precise size specifications (ie the outer edge of the frame)?
    3 What is your style? I think that I would need to have a "feel" for this;
    4 Could you post some examples of your work on this forum please? This would be helpful. Some simple snaps of your pictures, posted on something like like Photobucket.com, with an appropriate URL link on this forum would be easy to do and much appreciated;
    5 Can you paint in different styles? I am a great admirer of the work of the late C John Taylor, and would be seriously interested if you could possibly do some sample sketches/paintings in his style. I's be happy to accept any appropriate images by PM, or, if you wish, use Photobucket and post them to this thread.

Many thanks, and looking forward to hearing from you.

garredfox
Master Mariner

Postby garredfox » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:47 pm

It is a great pity that C. John Taylor is not around, I'm sure a portrait of Shard, by this very talented man, would have been a masterpiece - admired by all in the yachting world.

:roll:
the other half

J Wheel
Midshipman

C John Taylor

Postby J Wheel » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:53 am

It's so easy, isn't it, to denigrate the memory of a great man and all round artist, who, sad to say, is no longer with us, and therefore not in a strong position to defend himself. It's true, he wasn't "hip", didn't smoke reefers, or use four-letter words in his poetry and songs. But he did bring happiness to the lives of his many devoted admirers.

We spend our summers caravanning or boating throughout Scotland, occasionally venturing further south into England. Our neighbour's son copied all C John Taylor's beautiful works of music onto a cassette tape which we love to play and sing along with as we drive along our beautiful country roads to our next site. We also keep a copy on our little weekender cruiser. You would be amazed at how many people at the sites and anchorages love and appreciate his work. Apart from anything else, he really put Seal Island on the map and I'm sure local people respected him for that.

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:31 pm

Excellent - and welcome aboard J. Very high standard for a first post. Keep up the good work.
different colours made of tears

J Wheel
Midshipman

Postby J Wheel » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:20 pm

Why, thank you, Silkie. I can see that you are a man with some insight into the ways of the world. May I ask whether you are familiar with the works of C John Taylor?

He wasn't just one of Scotland's outstanding artists, but he made an enormous impact in other cultural areas, particularly his poetry and musical composition. One of our favourite songs by C John Taylor is The Loch Lomond song, which we love to sing along with as we drive up the A82. This particular version has the great tenor Alun Davies singing on it. As a special bonus, there is also a narration by C John Taylor himself.
“Good poetry is a ladder upon which out thoughts can unhindered ascend to atmospheres uplifting, inspiring, regenerating far very far removed, from the ordinary often monotonous frequently demanding routine of daily experience.â€Â

Return to “Stuff Wanted”