A possible health thing.

Post your handy hints and tips here - with pix if possible. Lavish prizes may be awarded from time to time.
sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

A possible health thing.

Postby sahona » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:59 pm

I suspect a few on here are about my age so may be interested.
You can suddenly die with no forewarning if you have an abdominal aortic aneurysm.
Every male over 65 is eligible for a scan to see if that's likely to happen.
Problem is, they only started recently so a whole swathe of us got missed and there doesn't seem to be a 'retro' plan.
You can self -register here
http://www.nhs.uk/…/Abdominal-aortic-an…/LocationSearch/1910
or
http://www.nhs24.com/ for Scotland, a site which is as user-friendly as a cornered rat, however, perseverance and patience will eventually get you to
http://www.nhsinform.co.uk/screening/aaa/

And PLEASE SPREAD THE NEWS it may save a life.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Re: A possible health thing.

Postby marisca » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:20 pm

Can I point out that this will definitely not save any lives. It may prolong life but whether enabling coffin dodgers to leech off the state for longer with their pensions, make demands on the NHS to replace worn out bits like knees and hips, and eventually get radiated and/or sliced to eradicate cancers is a cost effective enterprise is open to debate.

This from a man who was the first ever in Lothian NHS to be scanned for aortic aneurysm - it was an interesting learning experience for them and me and then they had me hanging around for ages waiting for the Evening News man who never came - and is now a year past a radical prostatectomy (totally unrelated). My advice is not to submit to any medical test unless you are willing to undergo the possible remedies.

sahona
Admiral of the White

Postby sahona » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:21 am

Whoooooooooo. Step up the euthanasia party. vote now
Prolonging life by avoiding death is surely saving a life.
I'm a fully paid up member of society and still enjoying life - I intend to stay that way as long as possible.
Get potential problems sorted early and they are sometimes manageable, ignore or avoid and they usually become traumatic.
Marisca, I assume you don't respond to bowel cancer programmes either.
Each to his own, but don't knock it.
The NHS is already investing, the job is done. Everyone join in. It may be to someone's advantage.
And, if it's just one guy through this thread, the friction between us is worth it.

marisca
Yellow Admiral

Postby marisca » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:20 am

The idea that you are a fully paid up member of society is a tad misplaced. Your contributions merely kept the previous generations, who generally had the good sense to jump off their twigs shortly after retiring, in pensions and ill-health. Your (and my) longevity is been financed by today's working population and there are far too many of us. Mass uptake of Blondie Haslar's stricture on gentlemanly behaviour would improve this nation greatly

Your assumptions re BC screening are of course wrong. I take full advantage of all tests, drugs, procedures, dental care, physiotherapy, bus pass, etc.. It's the rest of you who are the problem.

trev
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Colvic Watson 35

Postby trev » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:02 pm

Retiring is easy. I've done it 3 times. Retired at 50 - and started my own business, Travelled thousands of mile - Africa and the middle East, and retired again at 60 - Lasted 8 weeks and I got a job with County Council. They threw me out at 65 and SWMBO put her foot down - and produced a long list of jobs to do at home, I'm about to start yet another of her "little jobs" re-painting the decking (garden not boat). Being retired leaves me little time for boat!. Life was easier working - at least there were 2 days a week off.

And I'm still paying ******** income tax!

sahona
Admiral of the White

Postby sahona » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:04 pm

I feel uncomfortable with this discussion and don't particularly want to argue over what I consider to be irrelevant issues.
There exists a free-to-use programme that may or may not help somebody. However, it is poorly publicised and some who may benefit from it may not be aware. I was just trying to raise awareness.
The fact that pensioners in general may be robbing one of our contributors of something does not change my intent.
His medical history as stated and my private pension arrangements have nothing to bear on the issue.

marisca
Yellow Admiral

Postby marisca » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:20 pm

I am sorry if I have made you feel uncomfortable.

If anyone 65 or over has not had an AAA screening invitation or ignored it .......
For more information on abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) screening, you can call your local AAA screening centre. You can find their phone number on the letter inviting you to screening, or from the list below.

Ayrshire & Arran: 01294 323 134
Dumfries & Galloway: 01387 244 041
Grampian / Shetland / Orkney: 01224 553 905
Forth Valley / Greater Glasgow and Clyde: 0141 277 7631
Highlands and Islands: 01463 704 067
Lanarkshire: 01698 377 706
Lothian and Borders: 0131 242 3606
Tayside and Fife: 01382 496 393.

As these phone lines are managed by the screening centre staff there may be occasions where you will be asked to leave a message on an answer machine. Please leave your name and your phone number and the screening centre will get back to you as soon as they can and within a week.

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:21 pm

I feel that I have earned every penny of my company pension.
The fact that the Government haven't put my contributions aside to save for my pension isn't my fault, but we all knew that state pensions are paid out of revenue not savings.

Anyway, health issues, there is a lot to be said for enjoying a long and active retirement but I'm learning that when the body starts to drop to bits and all your mates die you start to plan to join them.
I will add that I'm learning this one generation removed :)
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

sahona
Admiral of the White

Postby sahona » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:33 pm

Thanks for clarifying the info Marisca.
This was a result elsewhere:

‎"Ma#### McA#####‎ to Bill Stewart
5 hrs ·
Bill, thank you, thank you, thank you. I have just come back from having my scan done. The scan revealed that I have a large abdominal aortic aneurysm (6.5cm). This would never have been discovered without your facebook warning. Thank you,
M."
He's being looked at on Monday, but I'm not sure how they fix these things.

marisca
Yellow Admiral

Postby marisca » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:22 am

Fixing it - apart from the usual fun-killing lose weight, stop smoking/drinking, eating tasty food, etc., the remedy may be either key-hole (via a leg artery) or open surgery. There is about a 1:14 chance of not surviving open surgery plus all the other risks like DVT and hospital-acquired infections.
I wish him a good outcome.

sahona
Admiral of the White

Postby sahona » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:13 am

Marisca, I see you think the glass is half empty. I hope you haven't had so many bad experiences that you've lost all hope.
I understand you've had prostate issues, but I hope the original problem has been addressed and that you will eventually get back to an acceptable level of health/activity.
I prefer to focus on the positive side of life even though it may seem to be a 'head in the sand' attitude to some.
We always hear the crap and nobody mentions the good stuff,. That must demoralise the staff who are providing the service. Let's look at giving some support to the NHS staff as well as trying to fix the administrative debacle.
Please don't take offence.
I'm just trying to shine a little light.

marisca
Yellow Admiral

Postby marisca » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:58 am

Ok. There is a 93.something % chance of surviving open surgery to the abdominal aorta. Is that better?

Unfortunately, while growing up may be optional, growing old is not, though it may be preferable to the alternative.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:00 pm

It may prolong life but whether enabling coffin dodgers to leech off the state for longer with their pensions, make demands on the NHS to replace worn out bits like knees and hips, and eventually get radiated and/or sliced to eradicate cancers is a cost effective enterprise is open to debate.

What a strange perspective.
Clearly Marisca is just going to chuck in the towel at the first sign of serious illness rather than waste good money - No - wait - He's had prostrate treatment which we all hope has the very best outcome and promotes many years of life.

Is Marisca now a self confessed Coffin Dodger?
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

marisca
Yellow Admiral

Postby marisca » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:01 pm

Of course I'm a coffin dodger and intend to be one for as long as I can. That doesn't stop me from realising the social injustice I am perpetrating on those who are working and whose impôts support my infirmities and make my life of indolence possible. I am not about to book a trip to Switzerland just yet.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:50 am

You speak as one who has not paid taxes or made N.I. Contributions.
Perhaps tax dodger might be a more appropriate handle for you?

This is Great Britain and I for one am very glad to live here and benefit from and contribute to the support systems that are in place. Marisca, I know you to be a fine upstanding honest fellow who will have earned your keep and paid your way but if you think that you ought to feel guilty about receiving healthcare or your state pension because you feel that the poor working lambs of today might find it a burden, then I feel you need your moral compass swinging. Might I suggest a beer or five whilst Sahona and I make the necessary adjustments?
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Return to “Tip of the Week”