Seasick pills

Post your handy hints and tips here - with pix if possible. Lavish prizes may be awarded from time to time.
mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Seasick pills

Postby mm5aho » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:09 pm

My wife needs something, and has in the past used Kwells (hyocine hydrobromide).
In two shops where she has boughht in the past, they say they are no longer available.

I suggested she try some others I have called Avomine, active ingredient = promethazine teoclate.
These are a "one a day" pill, and she tried for first time this weekend.
She says they're better than Kwells, and no noticeable side effect. Last longer per pill (24 hours), so no need for the patch she used to use at night while asleep.

I got them from here http://www.safety-marine.co.uk/ where they're listed as a life raft accessory. (no connection to me)
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

Alan_D
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Westerly Konsort

Re: Seasick pills

Postby Alan_D » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:00 am

Glad your wife found Avomine suited her - it is readily available from pharmacies without prescription. Phenergan is substantially the same stuff.

Hyoscine, in the form of Kwells, Joy Rides and other proprietary preparations is still readily available, even if your regular stockists no longer keep it.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:18 pm

You can get a pill from the Reception desk on the DFDS Esbjerg - Harwich ferry. They work brilliantly and have no side effects. They are white but sadly I don't know what they are called...
Hope that helps.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:58 pm

Why has nobody mentioned Stugeron ? They worked for us, but I haven't had the need for a few seasons now.
Does anybody else think that seasickness may have a transitional cycle like hay fever?
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Alan_D
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Westerly Konsort

Postby Alan_D » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:50 pm

sahona wrote:Why has nobody mentioned Stugeron ?

Perhaps because nobody was asking for suggestions for anti-seasickness medication.

There is a lot of variation between individuals with respect to both the benefits and the side-effects of various treatments, so what suits you best might not suit me, and vice-versa. That said, if someone did ask me to recommend a treatment for motion sickness I would certainly mention Stugeron (cinnarizine), but not solely because it is what I use.

Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Postby Booby Trapper » Mon May 12, 2014 9:16 pm

sahona wrote:Why has nobody mentioned Stugeron ? They worked for us, but I haven't had the need for a few seasons now.
Does anybody else think that seasickness may have a transitional cycle like hay fever?

No I think it's proportional to the amount of alcohol you have the night before. :lol:

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Tue May 13, 2014 6:41 am

I wonder if there's a big variety of seasickness. Seems to be variable from person to person too. My mother-in-law, who migrated by ship from Netherlands to New Zealand in 1950s was sick all the way. I can't imagine 6 weeks of seasick, but apprently she lost a lot of weight.
Her daughters (3) don't all get sick, but my wife will get sick on a canalboat. But with pills / patches she's fine and enjoys boating. But like her mother it doesn't go away with time.
My father (who used to do the Auckland to Suva Race as often as possible) was always sick for first day, then came right. He took dramamine first day then stopped and was OK for rest of trip.
My sons get a bit sick but get over it too; but it comes back if we start taking green over the bow!

Is it really a mis-match in the brain between visual messages and balance messages from inner ear?
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Postby Booby Trapper » Tue May 13, 2014 6:57 pm

I took pills once, what a terrible experience. I can't remember what they were but I couldn't walk from one end of the boat to the other without feeling dizzy and having to hold on to things. It lasted about 12 hours. I wasn't sick though.

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Wed May 14, 2014 8:36 am

Ginger, the root not the sweet fizzy stuff in bottles, seems to work well. Either a slice of root or ginger pills.

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Wed May 14, 2014 2:46 pm

'Border' chocolate ginger biscuits! Problem is they are a "use immediately once opened" product.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Return to “Tip of the Week”