Anchoring for the night.

Post your handy hints and tips here - with pix if possible. Lavish prizes may be awarded from time to time.
sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Anchoring for the night.

Postby sahona » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:35 pm

Think you'll get a better rest if you tuck right in under the steeply wooded shoreline?
Not if you've got one of these on anchor-watch.

It lost satellite view, thought it was 200feet ashore and woke everyone up- more than once.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Arghiro
Old Salt
Boat Type: Pentland Ketch

Re: Anchoring for the night.

Postby Arghiro » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:04 pm

Oh, the wonders of modern technology. Does it not have an "Off" switch? You could always pull the wires out of the back, that should sort out its problems.

I always find I sleep better with everything turned off (including SWMBO). You'll wake up quick enough if it does drag ashore or the wind picks up.

sahona
Admiral of the White

Postby sahona » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:48 pm

Arghiro wrote:You'll wake up quick enough if it does drag ashore or the wind picks up.

I didn't last year, and almost lost the boat.
No point in having stuff if it's not available when needed.

Arghiro
Old Salt

Postby Arghiro » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:28 pm

sahona wrote:
Arghiro wrote:You'll wake up quick enough if it does drag ashore or the wind picks up.

I didn't last year, and almost lost the boat.
No point in having stuff if it's not available when needed.

Whoops, sorry, I forgot about that! I must admit that sailing amongst sand & mudbanks has some benefits.

pagoda
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Jeanneau 42iPerformance

Postby pagoda » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:10 pm

sahona wrote:Think you'll get a better rest if you tuck right in under the steeply wooded shoreline?

It lost satellite view, thought it was 200feet ashore and woke everyone up- more than once.

I know this is an ancient thread, but one way I have used to make sure I'm woken if the anchor drags is as follows.
If you drop a couple of kg of sinker , away from the anchor chain- on a 1/8 or 3/16 line from the bow, leaving enough for swinging room. Bring the other end into the cockpit and attach to something like a bucket on the cockpit sole.
Should you drag appreciably, the weight will stay put below, and drag the bucket along the cockpit...making a fair racket, which you won't ignore!
If you find that happening- retrieving the thin line/weight is easy- or in extremis you could cut the line and concentrate on your anchor drag.
No electronics.... :)

Graeme

Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Postby Booby Trapper » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:20 pm

Do you mean you leave the sinker dangling just a meter or so deeper than the keel then if it hits the bottom it will drag the bucket? If that's the case you could drop it from the stern??

Arghiro
Old Salt

Postby Arghiro » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:04 am

pagoda wrote:
sahona wrote:Think you'll get a better rest if you tuck right in under the steeply wooded shoreline?

I know this is an ancient thread, but one way I have used to make sure I'm woken if the anchor drags is as follows.
If you drop a couple of kg of sinker , away from the anchor chain- on a 1/8 or 3/16 line from the bow, leaving enough for swinging room. Bring the other end into the cockpit and attach to something like a bucket on the cockpit sole.
Should you drag appreciably, the weight will stay put below, and drag the bucket along the cockpit...making a fair racket, which you won't ignore!
If you find that happening- retrieving the thin line/weight is easy- or in extremis you could cut the line and concentrate on your anchor drag.
No electronics.... :)

Graeme

In our tides my swinging room can be 75-100' which is a lot of slack to tangle up. But as I said earlier, going ashore on mud or sand is not a problem unless there are waves & that will wake me anyway.

pagoda
Master Mariner

Postby pagoda » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:56 am

Booby Trapper wrote:Do you mean you leave the sinker dangling just a meter or so deeper than the keel then if it hits the bottom it will drag the bucket? If that's the case you could drop it from the stern??

Ian, on the few occasions I've used this, I've done it off the bow, but your variation sounds worth trying. It would be a bit trickier to get the sinker to balance the bucket (some water??) , with the sinker below keel depth.
Either way, provided you are expecting a big blow from mainly one direction you should not need huge amounts of slack. I'm really talking of stuff like braided orange fishing line, nothing heavier.It only needs to drag an empty bucket around the cockpit!

sahona
Admiral of the White

Postby sahona » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:21 pm

pagoda wrote:
If you drop a couple of kg of sinker ,......
Graeme

Just the job for the RIB's little folding anchor I think. First time I've heard of that method, great idea - assuming of course it can't drag the bucket overboard and get lost.

pagoda
Master Mariner

Postby pagoda » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:29 pm

sahona wrote:
pagoda wrote:
If you drop a couple of kg of sinker ,......
Graeme

Just the job for the RIB's little folding anchor I think. First time I've heard of that method, great idea - assuming of course it can't drag the bucket overboard and get lost.

I think there's little chance of that... :lol: .... you'll be up there in a flash once that bucket's rattling about!

sahona
Admiral of the White

Postby sahona » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:03 pm

Nae galvie buckets on ma boat. All plestik.

I'm now imagining a bit of bungy rubber and a dancing beer bottle! Whatever, the principle is good. Maybe we can have a piccy gallery at the end of the season.

Arghiro
Old Salt

Postby Arghiro » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:49 pm

sahona wrote:Nae galvie buckets on ma boat. All plestik.

I'm now imagining a bit of bungy rubber and a dancing beer bottle! Whatever, the principle is good. Maybe we can have a piccy gallery at the end of the season.

Good idea, best picture of a boat on the rocks gets an increased insurance premium? :troll:

Return to “Tip of the Week”