Parking Help

Post your handy hints and tips here - with pix if possible. Lavish prizes may be awarded from time to time.
marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Parking Help

Postby marisca » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:07 pm

If you are fortunate to have a classic, long keeled, spectrally confused boat that is a pig to park in a marina, the simple answer is to ask the coastguard to arrange valet parking by those nice men with the orange boats and white helmets. Apparently, they even supply men in blue helmets and overalls on the shore to take your lines. I'm not sure the same service is available for leaving the pontoon.
Pictures are available, (or not available if the price is right).

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Re: Parking Help

Postby ash » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:07 pm

I find that I can park her OK, but getting out in the first place can be fraught in a bit of breeze, especially when we have visitors with sailing experience on board. Can this service be applied for then? It should be easier to arrange as it is easier to preplan a departure than an arrival. Is there a cost involved? - in Scotland, not France......Tongue in Cheek Emicon.

Ash

Next time I'll give the controls to the experienced visitor.

Yes to pictures.
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:29 pm

I think it's really bad form to stand about tutting and sighing when a chap is having trouble telling his boat what to do. A chap knows his boat better than someone who has never handled her.

I would imagine that any spectator would soon stop trying to make "helpful" sugestions and pray that skipper doesn't offer the tiller 'coz it's obviously much harder than on his own boat.

Not that I have ever been in this or any similar situation. :shake:
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:06 pm

aquaplane wrote:when a chap is having trouble telling his boat what to do... :shake:

I don't think my boat is deaf - just bl00dy obstinate. The louder I shout the worse it gets.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Return to “Tip of the Week”