Dinghy Valve Repair

Post your handy hints and tips here - with pix if possible. Lavish prizes may be awarded from time to time.
Old_Glow_In_The_Deep
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Newbridge Voyager

Dinghy Valve Repair

Postby Old_Glow_In_The_Deep » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:13 am

I’ve replaced all the valves on my dinghy (4 of) over the last four years.
The main problem is that the little piece of plastic which is pushed upwards by a spring breaks, is then ejected by the spring resulting in deflation and loss of central component (plastic disc & rubber seal with / on spindle).

The fix:
Unscrew the upper / outer section of valve with a pair of long-nose pliers, do not need one of those (breaks at first use) plastic spanners / valve wrench.
Retain inner section with string & small piece of wood (if req).
Position the inner disk / seal in the closed position within the upper / outer section.
Heat a large allen key and carefully melt the spindle into a button shape, allowing approximately 3mm for operation of valve.
This allows inflation and does not lock open or deflate.
Deflation is now only achievable by manual depression of afore mentioned button….. simples… or is it necessity is the mother of etc?

Arghiro
Old Salt
Boat Type: Pentland Ketch

Re: Dinghy Valve Repair

Postby Arghiro » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:21 pm

Oh, - my valves are in 2 parts (3 if you include the outer dust/ water cap) to deflate, simply unscrew the top half of the valve with the flappy seal bit in it. Dead simple, never gone wrong & probably dead cheap too (it's an old XM 235).

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:44 am

Old_Glow_In_The_Deep wrote:I’ve replaced all the valves on my dinghy (4 of) over the last four years.
The main problem is that the little piece of plastic which is pushed upwards by a spring breaks, is then ejected by the spring resulting in deflation and loss of central component (plastic disc & rubber seal with / on spindle).

The fix:
Unscrew the upper / outer section of valve with a pair of long-nose pliers, do not need one of those (breaks at first use) plastic spanners / valve wrench.
Position the inner disk / seal in the closed position within the upper / outer section.
Heat a large allen key and carefully melt the spindle into a button shape, allowing approximately 3mm for operation of valve.
Deflation is now only achievable by manual depression of afore mentioned button….. simples… or is it necessity is the mother of etc?

John, what make of dinghy is it, if its a waveline or wetline or seago I have a broken valve with a servicable plunger, spring and flap, which you can have.
The valves come in dark and light grey, the one I have is the light grey.
C_W

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:51 pm

Old_Glow_In_The_Deep wrote:I’ve replaced all the valves on my dinghy (4 of) over the last four years.

The fix:

Speak to Nick, he is now an expert on this subject :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry Nick, couldent resist it. :wink:
C_W

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:04 pm

I believe Silkie one has some knowledge of dinghy valve repairs - or if not will shortly be acquiring it . . .
- Nick 8)

Return to “Tip of the Week”