Tis a good one to know!

Post your handy hints and tips here - with pix if possible. Lavish prizes may be awarded from time to time.
Old_Glow_In_The_Deep
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Newbridge Voyager

Tis a good one to know!

Postby Old_Glow_In_The_Deep » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:52 am

Removal of a Ferret from your appendages once it is “locked on” is quite easy. :wink:
Just wet your thumb to help make a good seal, placing firmly (but not so as to hurt the little-fella) over the nostrils of the offending little beastie, and within a few seconds you will observe him convulse as they do not realize that they can breathe through their teeth. Not long after he will let go, thus allowing you to place him on the ground or back in his court/run.
I've heard all sorts of horror stories about burning them or even chopping them in half…but PLEASE DON’T!
PS They DO make good pets. :D

[YouTube]IgUwJ30mtSc[/YouTube]

OK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgUwJ30mtSc

Old_Glow_In_The_Deep
Master Mariner

Re: Tis a good one to know!

Postby Old_Glow_In_The_Deep » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:15 pm

Just one more example of how good?.... entertaining and social animals these are. :D :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfmWEyBBgmM

Arghiro
Old Salt
Boat Type: Pentland Ketch

Postby Arghiro » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:03 pm

I shall add a tip to this;

Do not entertain ferrets if you are bearded. I was shown one by a friend of my young son & encouraged to handle it. Delihtfull littel thing it was too. I am not afraid of any domestic animals & was quite happily chatting to said young owner when his blessed ferret jumped up & locked onto my jaw. Its teeth went straight thro to the bone & locked. Altho not that painful i wasn't impressed with this & tried a trick used on biting dogs. I grip it fi=nger & thumb on either side of its jaw & squeezed. No effect, I next relaxed my grip in order to wring its neck, but my relaxation caused it to let go.

Apparently, the beast had decided my bearded chin looked just like a rabbit as it moved when I talked.

So either shave or stay schtum when handling ferrets.

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:31 pm

Arghiro wrote:Altho not that painful i wasn't impressed with this & tried a trick used on biting dogs. I grip it fi=nger & thumb on either side of its jaw & squeezed. No effect ..........

Ah, Arghiro, you should have followed the advice in an earlier tip - Advice that could save a life.

Old_Glow_In_The_Deep
Master Mariner

Postby Old_Glow_In_The_Deep » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:02 pm

Another one of life’s little gems I had been told about a few decades ago, but I also remember (now) that English mustard was also involved. :shock: :oops:

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:39 pm

I suspect the dog would have finished it's meal by the time you managed to return with some mustard John!
Modestly, Shard didn't add that his was a prizewinning contribution...
However, I think it's worth expanding the genteel lady's solution to one of sticking anything that will fit up the dog, and leaving it there.
This would permanently relax the pertinant muscles and calm the canine - no?
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Arghiro
Old Salt
Boat Type: Pentland Ketch

Postby Arghiro » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:08 pm

Shard wrote:
Arghiro wrote:Altho not that painful i wasn't impressed with this & tried a trick used on biting dogs. I grip it fi=nger & thumb on either side of its jaw & squeezed. No effect ..........

Ah, Arghiro, you should have followed the advice in an earlier tip - Advice that could save a life.

Bearing in mind that said animal was a ferret rather than a Staffie, one of my stubby digits up its arse would have split it from tail to grin.

Old_Glow_In_The_Deep
Master Mariner

Postby Old_Glow_In_The_Deep » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:51 am

Some more of the wee chaps. :D

It just makes you smile & tap your feet. :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtPjf9nY1Tk&NR=1

Return to “Tip of the Week”