Madeira and GRIB files

Forum for messages to Nick & Kathy when they are cruising (currently June-Aug 2010)
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Madeira and GRIB files

Postby Nick » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:11 pm

If you have been following the blog (up to date to yesterday) you will see that we are now in the partially constructed marina and resort complex of Quinta do Lorde on the Eastern tip of Madeira.

We came here because it looked as though we didn't have time to get to Tenerife before some serious SE'lies or S-lies set in on Friday night or Saturday morning. Of course, the same weather sites are now showing a good window if we had left yesterday, but a bit rubbish from Sunday onwards with a horrendous depresson tracking over Tenerife and Madeira on Tues/Weds with F7 and maybe even F8 southerlies.

What to believe? Eventually we will just have to go and get thrashed no doubt. In the meantime I think I need to get to grips wth GRIB files. Chris on Tradition, the other Vega in Porto Santo, told me about them. All the info is on http://www.globalmarinenet.net . You can receive a compressed file by e-mail - eg over satphone - for the area of ocean you are in and hey presto, you have the same weather routing info the big boys use. Looks good - does anyone have any experience of GRIBs or comments about them? Which viewer is best / cheapest / free?

In the meantime, apologies to any of you who are bored with our leisurely progress towards the melting point of butter . . . we had a wonderful walk today over the cliffs round Baia de Abra (see the new November calendar for one view) and for now are not going to be rushed into a precipitate voyage South on the strength of Magic Seaweed's currently ever-changing predictions. December is a better time for a crossing anyway . . . we never intended to leave in November, leave that to the ARCists.

Madeira is as spectacular as we remember from our previous visit. We hope to take the bus into Funchal one day, to maybe walk a levada and to master the secrets of the GRIB and also to finally finish the series drogue by attaching the cones. One of these days the wind will go into the North and stay there for a few days.

Don't worry, there will no doubt be more drama and excitement to come, in the meantime, hope you are enjoying our holiday . . . we are.
- Nick 8)

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Re: Madeira and GRIB files

Postby ash » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:23 am

Nick wrote:If you have been following the blog (up to date to yesterday)

Just back from 4 days work in York and very pleased to find the updated blog. I am sure that there are many readers - do you have a counter system? Will there be a book at the end of it all?

Nick wrote: You can receive a compressed file by e-mail - eg over satphone - for the area of ocean you are in and hey presto, you have the same weather routing info the big boys use. Looks good - does anyone have any experience of GRIBs or comments about them? Which viewer is best / cheapest / free?

I'm sure that there was an article in one the mags recently - I take YM, PBO, and ST so it was one of them.

Nick wrote: December is a better time for a crossing anyway . . . we never intended to leave in November, leave that to the ARCists.

Don't worry, there will no doubt be more drama and excitement to come, in the meantime, hope you are enjoying our holiday . . . we are.

Note that the crossing is back in the discussion - looking forward to future exciting installments.

Ash

PS - you didn't say if the errant 8mm nut or was it a bolt had a critical function on the gooseneck.

PPS Did you see This Thread

Fairwind s to you both.
Last edited by ash on Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:28 am

All I know about the use of GRIB files comes from Frank Singleton but I'm sure you're well aware of his site.

I'd like to know about the mystery nut too.
different colours made of tears

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Mystery nut

Postby Nick » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:55 am

The tack of the main is held on to the gooseneck by an M8 bolt and nut - nt an original fitting, I hasten to add. The nut must have come off there, and is now back in place.
- Nick 8)

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

GRIB

Postby cpedw » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:26 pm

A thread has appeared on YBW about GRIB http://www.ybw.com/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1232262/an/0/page/0#1232262 .Hope it helps.
Derek

Alba
Able Seaman

Grib Files

Postby Alba » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:24 pm

Hi Nick, I use Grib Files and overlay them on my MaxSea nav programme. I will assemble an e-mail with the programme files and data host I use and send them to you in the next few days. The system works well and will give you up to 5 day forecasts. In the meantime relax and enjoy your stay in Maderia.
Tom and Anne
Alba Voyager

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Thanks Tom

Postby Nick » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:21 pm

Can you please not send them to the Fairwinds address? This is because I sometimes use the satphone or a mobile to download my mail, and attachments are a no-no with that sort of speed/cost ratio. Tim holds all mail at the nickb address and will forward it when he knows I have a sensible connection.
- Nick 8)

Return to “Talk to Nick and Kathy”