Carrickfergus

Forum for messages to Nick & Kathy when they are cruising (currently June-Aug 2010)
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Carrickfergus

Postby Nick » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:04 am

Nice place.

Everyone in the Sailing Club is very friendly.

Met up with Malcolm (Vega Helga) who we met in the Azores doing the AZAB with his brother, plus Porrick?, owner of the fine vessel Frigg (pronounced Freeg, he insists). Frigg is also a Vega.

Vice commodore Joe has welcomed us to the club and invited us to use the facilities for as long as we are here, and gave us a badge each. Someone else even gave us a loaf of bread (he is a baker).

Weather is very strange, The pressure is down to 985MB but there is no wind - we are in the centre of the low. Forecast for tomorrow is Northwest 5 or 6, occasionally 7 later in north sea state moderate, increasing rough in north. If we were masochists we could motor to Glenarm into heavy seas and a headwind, but I think we will probably just stay here and go to the pictures to see the the Simpsons movie.
Image Situation to be reviewed mid-morning.
- Nick 8)

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Think we might join this group . . .

Postby Nick » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:54 am

This MySPace group seems to be attracting quite a few members - I wonder why?

HERE

Weather prediction is the same for today so we are staying put. It is freezing.

If we can get up to Glenarm tomorrow afternoon and the GRIBs etc stay the same then it is looking good!? for a crossing of the North Channel leaving at two in the morning on Friday to catch the tide. We would then get as far North as possible - maybe go for Craighouse - and see what is happening.

Saturday is going to be very wet, then it goes Northerly and quite strong for Sunday as the next Atlantic low passes across, going light again on Monday. Well, that is today's fairy tale anyway/. No doubt all willbe different tomorrow.

Looks like the last few miles will be a bit of a struggle . . . tides are all wrong for daylight passages as well. Arrival home could be Saturday, but unlikely. probably not Sunday, maybe Monday . . . I think we might just go into Craobh on the way to pull ourselves together a bit, as we are likely to be tired, damp and smelly by then.
- Nick 8)

GaleDodger
Midshipman

Postby GaleDodger » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:56 pm

I have used your site a lot for reference and following your journey. Until recently I hadn't been curious enough to scroll down the page and see the basis on which it was operated.

I assume not for profit is different than not for pints so I have rectified this in the recommended way.

I think your blog is great. Just goes to show that great adventure need not be burdened by great cost.

Return to “Talk to Nick and Kathy”