Page 1 of 1


Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:18 pm
by EagerVega
Just received a text from Nick...

"Arrived Ardglass 1900 Hrs after a fast and very enjoyable sail from Howth. Going to Carrickfergus tomorrow weather permitting."

Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:13 pm
by drumtochty

Are they probably making for Carrickfergus due to it being sheltered with the prospect of the forecast gales.

Is Carrickfergus a good start point to cross to Scotland or is it a touch to far south. I assume they would want to be 10 miles further up the coast say Larne to reduce the distance on the next leg.


Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:21 am
by EagerVega
Hi Eddie,

As far as I know Carrickfergus is a sheltered Marina, and is also convenient for a quick hop up and across. Should be possible on one tide, perhaps waiting at Gigha for the favourable tide up the sound.
When we went up to the Vega rally a few years ago we sailed direct from Ardglass to Campbeltown which was a fairly easy run.
I am sure Nick and Kathy are keenly studying the forecast knowing they are so close to home. Looks as though the wind isnt strengthening until tues, so they may have a window. Forecasting this year has not been the most accurate though..



Arrived Carrickfergus

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:03 pm
by Nick
Left Ardglass this morning at 11 to take an hour and a half of foul tide to be sure of getting a good run through Donaghadee Sound.

A cracking sail as far as Skullmartin - genoa only to the South Rock, then when we turned onto the next waypoint (Skullmartin SW Buoy) we hoisted the main and put the Navik to work while we had lunch in the sun in the cockpit. After lunch dark clouds gathered and we had a succession of heavy squally showers, with the wind swinging round so we were close-hauled with up to 28 knots over the deck and lashing rain. We ended up motorsailing through the buoys in Donaghadee Sound in case the next squall headed us, then managed a couple more miles close-hauled before motor-sailing the rest of the way to Carrickfergus with 20 knots over the deck and lots of spray and generel dampness. Not long after we tied up the wind dropped to nothing, the sky turned blue and the sun came out.

Had a pint in the Sailing Club and got talking straight away to a guy who sailed a Tradewind 33 to New Zealand and who knows Richared and Eilish from Granuaille.

It looks as though the incoming Atlantic depresson might not be as bad as originally thought, but if you examine the weather below you will see that no-one who doesn't have to is likely to be setting off up the North Channel in the next couple of days. (Beating into a F6 over Spring tide is not much fun in the N channel)

If we could leave early we could probably get to Glenarm tomorrow, but HW is 1300 so if we left on the ebb we would catch the stronger winds later. Also . . . it is then going generally Northerly until Saturday, and if we ARE going to be stuck somewhere for a few days - which seems likely - then Glenarm is not the ideal place. Here we have the Sailing Club, Tescos and a cinema . . . and we might even take a train into Belfast tomorrow. (Also Carrickfergus give you the second night free, I have free wifi and the electricity is free . . . and it is going to pour with rain tomorrow)

Three easy day sails now - should be home a week today if things clear up by the weekend. What crappy weather . . . I am just so glad that we stopped in Spain on the way back from the Azores for a last week of sunshine . . .

The Mull of Galloway to Mull of Kintyre including Firth of Clyde
Inshore waters forecast
24 hour forecast: 1800 Mon 13 Aug 1800 Tue 14 Aug
Wind West or southwest 4 or 5, becoming variable 3 or less then Northeast 5 to 7 later.
Sea state Slight becoming moderate.
Weather Showers with rain spreading from the south.
Visibility Good becoming moderate or poor.

Outlook: 1800 Tue 14 Aug 1800 Wed 15 Aug
Wind Northeast backing northwest 5 to 7.
Sea state Moderate occasionally rough.
Weather Rain or showers.
Visibility Moderate or good, occasionally poor.

Wind Westerly 4 or 5, backing southerly 3 or 4, then northerly 5 or 6.
Sea state Slight or moderate.
Weather Showers, rain spreading to south later.
Visibility Moderate or good, occasionally poor in south later.

Outlook: 1800 Tue 14 Aug 1800 Wed 15 Aug
Wind Northerly north northwesterly 5 to 7.
Sea state Slight or moderate, becoming rough.
Weather Rain or showers.
Visibility Moderate or good.


Shipping forecast 1725 Mon 13 Aug
Wind West 4 or 5, becoming variable 3 or 4, then north 5 or 6.
Sea State Moderate or rough.
Weather Showers.
Visibility Good.

Re: Arrived Carrickfergus

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:30 pm
by DaveS
Nick wrote:What crappy weather . . .

I've found myself saying that most of this "summer". :(

I'll be in the area next Sat / Sun / Mon if a return has happened by then and celebrations are contemplated...

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:58 pm
by SteveM
So you reckon your trip is "low-key and somewhat modest"? Don't think so - speaking as someone who has yet to get farther than Phuilladobhrain (and I bet that's a misspelling) I reckon you're both bloody heroes.
Looking forward to seeing you in the T & T and hearing all the gory details!
All the best

Aw shucks Steve

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:48 pm
by Nick
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: