Oh no - stuck in Waterford on Spraoi weekend . . .

Forum for messages to Nick & Kathy when they are cruising (currently June-Aug 2010)
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Oh no - stuck in Waterford on Spraoi weekend . . .

Postby Nick » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:24 pm

It is currently looking unlikely that we will get away from here before Monday . . . apart from anything else the wind over tide situation on the ebb in a strong Southerly in the estuary downstream is not good according to Nigel.

So - stuck here with nothing to do except watch free bands and street theatre and perhaps enjoy the odd beverage. Sounds awful. Jeff is a bit disappointed though as he was looking forward to some sailing. Still, his flight back isn't until Wednesday evening, and we may have got to Arklow by then so he can get a train.

Forecast for coasts from Fair Head to Howth Head to Mizen Head and the Irish Sea.
Wind: South to Southwest force 6 or 7, decreasing force 5 or 6 overnight. Possibly reaching force 7 again later Saturday.
Weather: Rain, drizzle and fog, with rain heavy at times.
Visibility: Moderate to poor.

Outlook for a further 24 hours until 1800 Sunday 05 August 2007: Fresh to strong South to Southwest winds, later veering West to Southwest. Rain, drizzle and fog, clearing later to scattered showers.

Yesterday's blog is up, mostly featuring pix of our new crew member and pubs.
- Nick 8)

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Waterford

Postby Telo » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:24 pm

Hi both. I can think of worse places to be stuck - great wee city. Good pontoon berths (we couldn't find anyone to pay either), and good value for the swimming pool at the hotel etc... The chandlery, a motor factor's shop, was remarkably well stocked with all the obscure wee bts 'n' pieces that we needed.

Best wishes

D

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

What a wunnerful weekend . . .

Postby Nick » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:54 pm

So glad the weather has been crap - never been so entertained.

Just back from watching The Grit, an amazingly talented punk band who were far too intelligent for most of their audience. That was after a French mime act with comedy, noise and percussion!?? and the Daredevil Chickens.

At nine thirty the big parade passes right by the marina, then it;s the fireworks.

Probably off to Kilmore Quay tomorrow . . . not sure how we are going to cope with real life when we get home.
- Nick 8)

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Kilmore Quay

Postby Nick » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:01 pm

Sailed round to KQ yesterday and met up with Nigel and Jackie again.

It was a pleasant enough sail - we motored round the bend in the river then beat down to Hook Head in 20 knots apparent from the SW before rounding it a cable off to stay out of the tide race before running up to Kilmore under genoa.

As we approached the WP for Kilmore huge dark clouds built from onshore and we began to hear thunder. The shoreline disappeared, the headsail gybed and I expected big squalls - but in fact the wind dropped to ten or twelve knots, the rain was not as bad as expected and it cleared in time for us to pick up the leading marks. (It was low water and the approach to KQ is through very shallow rock infested waters, so it is essential to stay on the leading line for the last half mile).

The gearchange morse cable broke on the way, so we had to come into our berth slow ahead and switch off at the appropriate moment to coast gracefully to a stop without mounting the pontoon. Nigel was there to catch us in the event of it going pear shaped, but it was fine. I bought and fitted a new cable today - only E25 from the excellent chandlers here.

We had a few drinks with Nigel last night . . . it is his birthday today, but he has had to go home to work for a couple of days. Great to see him again.

The wind is Northerly here today and it is very cold . . . Jeff has to get a flight from Dublin tomorrow evening, so tomorrow Jackie will take him into Wexford. We will probably stay here until Thursday and then head up to Arklow, although I have yet to get a weather forecast. Hoping to be in Dublin (Howth) on Friday or Saturday.

No blog updates at the moment because internet access is proving troublesome here . . . I think the wireless card in my laptop is faulty. Hopefully the wifi in Howth marina will be working when we get there.
- Nick 8)

EagerVega
Able Seaman

Postby EagerVega » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:17 pm

Hi Nick and Kathy,

Home safely and just checked the forecast. Looks pretty good for next few days at least. Unfortunately seems to change from day to day.

Did you get the wifi to work in the pub?

Just leaving for birthday dinner and few beers...

Nigel.

drumtochty
Able Seaman

Postby drumtochty » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:32 pm

Nick

We were down in Rhu near Helensburgh at a wedding on Wednesday. There was two different wireless networks in the Hotel.

In one area, network1 was the only one showing and at very good signal stengths but I could not get a connection anywhere in that area.

Walked to the other side of the Hotel where another wireless network was operational and at very good signal strength. Got a connection right away on this other network.

So it may not be the card. I have another 11g internal card for the Thinkpad and a newer 54g internal card for the Thinkpad that requirese that Bios upgrade that the secondary battery also needs so it can be fitted when you get home. If required and you do not use your wired router.

eddie

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Hi Nigel

Postby Nick » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:05 am

No luck with the wifi but I am using the terminal in the Stella Maris . . .

We will probably set off 10 tomorrow morning and head for Arklow, then Howth on Friday. After that who knows - the weather still doesn't look like settling down, so we will just make progress Northwards whenever we can.

Have updated the blog up to yesterday. Jackie is takling Jef into Wexford this afternoon for the train.

Thanks for everything, keep in touch.
- Nick 8)

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Weird wi-fi

Postby Nick » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:07 am

Eddie,

I can sometimes pick up the network - but the password is 10 characters and when I put it in it is rejected and I get a message saying that WEP requires a 5 character password (40bit) or 13 characters (140b bit) - it won't accept it. The locals all tell me they have no bother loggin on but I am confused . . . certainly the WEP passwords I have been given before have all been five characters.
- Nick 8)

drumtochty
Able Seaman

Postby drumtochty » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:45 pm

Make sure you have caps switched off and make sure that zeros and letter o is correct otherwise an ether net cable can be useful if you can stick it in a socket.

We will change out the card when you getback.

eddie

EagerVega
Able Seaman

Postby EagerVega » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:57 pm

Nick,

The link for the Swedish Vega round the world voyage is as follows:

http://www.runtjorden.com/eng_index.php

Cheers,
Nigel.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Thanks Nigel

Postby Nick » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:17 pm

Will add it to the Vega links on the site when I get the opportunity.
- Nick 8)

drumtochty
Able Seaman

Postby drumtochty » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:21 pm

In WEP 64 or 40 bit if the code is in hex you need ten characters and if it's in ascii you need 5 characters. See example below

In Hex 7733343572

In Ascii w345r

So it must be the passphrase you have but the router is expecting Hex.

Bit confusing I think.

eddie

http://www.andrewscompanies.com/tools/wep.asp

This site will do the conversion to hex or ascii

Return to “Talk to Nick and Kathy”