A bay window for Fairwinds . . .

Forum for messages to Nick & Kathy when they are cruising (currently June-Aug 2010)

Should we leave tomorrow?

Yes - you might never get another four day window
1
11%
Yes - you need to get home because the weather is so great here
1
11%
Yes - it is certain doom if you aren't across by the end of August
0
No votes
No - what's the rush? Have a rest after the last passage.
7
78%
No - it's not that great a window and a better one will turn up
0
No votes
No - you had a good crossing in August last time after all!
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 9

User avatar
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Posts: 5528
Joined: Sun May 12, 2002 4:11 pm
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27
Location: Oban. Scotland
Contact:

A bay window for Fairwinds . . .

Postby Nick » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:23 pm

It looks like the usual stress . . . leave for the Scillies tomorrow, get a load of heavy rain and smeg on days 3 and 4 but not much wind and hopefully get in just ahead of the next big low . . . .

Or . . .

Wait another week in sunny Spain and see if better times lie ahead.

What does the team think?
- Nick 8)

Image

User avatar
Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 3485
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:55 pm
Boat Type: Hurley 22
Location: Bonnie Scotland
Contact:

Postby Silkie » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:00 pm

Er.. yes, well maybe.. or maybe not. Don't expect me to reach any conclusions but..

Magic Seaweed shows some W F6 in the Channel approaches on Monday so could be a good reach :shock: (or an opportunity to perfect your hove-to technique) with time in hand before the next big depression starts to make itself felt until late on Tuesday.

On the other hand if said depression were to speed up a bit the end of the passage might be a bit bumpy. As long as you were clear of Ushant you could always run, in extremis.

Apart from that it looks pretty good (although the rhumb line is probably close-hauled tomorrow in F3 maybe 4) and would set you up well for arriving Ireland 2nd August. :D

I gather all hands finished the last passage in fine fettle.
different colours made of tears

User avatar
hazard to shipping
Dazed Kipper
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:40 pm
Location: N.E. Scotland

Should I stay or should I go?

Postby hazard to shipping » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:18 pm

Stay - stay - stay.

There - Food and wine cheap and good. Weather good, Swimming and night life good.

Home - weather crap - food and booze expensive but fairly good, night life - well the TnT awaits - many happy hours of storytelling in the winter months - swimming - cold, for the brave and labradors only.

Enjoy the good weather while you can.

Jill

User avatar
Charlie Farlie
Able Seaman
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:48 pm
Location: Johnshaven

Postby Charlie Farlie » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:51 am

I agree with Jill -STAY.

There is no rush, once you are home and shivering in the summer weather you will wish you had stayed in warmer climes.
Also due to a bad breeding season caused by the poor summer weather there is a shortage of "Skippers" and people who depend on them as part of their staple diet are having to eat a substitute food made with sawdust, gearbox oil and old car tyres (otherwise known as black pudding), therefore no reason to race home.
Besides that, how will we occupy our lives with no blog to read?

Cheers

Charlie

PS Hi Jill.

User avatar
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Posts: 5528
Joined: Sun May 12, 2002 4:11 pm
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27
Location: Oban. Scotland
Contact:

Dismayed . . .

Postby Nick » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:24 pm

to hear about the Skippers crisis back home. We are very out of touch with the news of course . . . must listen to the World Service more.

I see that the weather patterns predicted for the next four days for Biscay are now somewhat different to those predicted 24 hours ago, with a fascinating mixture of headwinds, calms, rain :umbrella: and the possibility of racing to get in ahead of much stronger winds at the end of the passage. The only good thing is that the swell is very small, whereas next week the next big low is shown bringing in a much larger swell. That is next week though . . .

Anyway, we were up until 4 fiestaing :party: , there is a good wifi connection here and work to be done and the engine needs servicing. I think we will be in Camarinas afor a few more days yet.
- Nick 8)

Image

User avatar
Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 3485
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:55 pm
Boat Type: Hurley 22
Location: Bonnie Scotland
Contact:

Postby Silkie » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:12 pm

Hmm.. quite a change from the forecast last night.

Party on! :party:
different colours made of tears

User avatar
Telo
Admiral of the Red
Posts: 2454
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:27 pm
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot
Location: Bampotterie-sur-mer
Contact:

Postby Telo » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:34 am

Silkie wrote:Apart from that it looks pretty good (although the rhumb line is probably close-hauled tomorrow in F3 maybe 4) and would set you up well for arriving Ireland 2nd August. :D
Well, is it no' aboot time the wee blimey got on with it? I've got ten bob on 29th July......

User avatar
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Posts: 5528
Joined: Sun May 12, 2002 4:11 pm
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27
Location: Oban. Scotland
Contact:

It's all looking pretty grim . . .

Postby Nick » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:15 am

At the moment it doesn't look like there is much chance of us making Ireland before the end of the month unless we want to risk big winds - two more big depressions coming through where we might get away with no more than 25-30 knots, but it is Biscay and we would prefer fewer red arrows . . . having come this far now is not the time for unnecessary heroics, and it's still a minimum four day passage.

Looks like we should have left on Thursday morning to get in by tomorrow evening. It was all just too much of a rush though.

At least if there is a window we shold be ready now. Serviced the engine yesterday . . . oil and filter change, both fuel filters, new engine anode, tightened alternator belt.

Lovely weather here just now, but it's probably going to get a bit breezy tomorrow.

Does anyone know if TCM has left yet? I know he planned to be round Finisterre before the end of July.
- Nick 8)

Image

User avatar
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Posts: 5528
Joined: Sun May 12, 2002 4:11 pm
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27
Location: Oban. Scotland
Contact:

Glad we are still here . . .

Postby Nick » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:29 am

If we'd left Thursday morning we'd be perhaps 100nm from St Marys just now - about on the corner between Fitzroy, Sole and Plymouth. There is a gale warning for Fitzroy and Plymouth and Sole are both saying possibily 8 later.

It was beautiful here yesterday as well - roasting hot with just a light breeze to cool us off. We went for a walk along the coast (almost) to the lighthouse at Cabo Villiano.
- Nick 8)

Image

drumtochty
Able Seaman
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:17 pm
Location: Drumtochty Glen, Auchenblae

Postby drumtochty » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:33 am

The weather here is just crap. The long term forecast says don't hold your breath waiting on better weather.

IMHO your original thoughts of arriving southern Ireland and taking say a fortnight to travel up Ireland does not make sence from a weather point of view. Unless you like sailing in Oil Skins.

OK get back to the UK by the safest route and weather that you can but unless you are mad keen on doing Ireland that way. I would enjoy the weather over there for a bit longer but if there is a weather window take it and shorten the Ireland stay assuming you may be in Spain for an other week or two.

eddie

User avatar
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Posts: 5528
Joined: Sun May 12, 2002 4:11 pm
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27
Location: Oban. Scotland
Contact:

Why get wet and battered?

Postby Nick » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:53 am

Good point from Drumtochty here . . .

If we have to wait here longer than anticipated - which seems likely - and there is eventually a decent break then we will probably get as far as we can while we can. As for all you people who have been running a sweepstake on our arrival date in Ireland - well, I am sorry if you end up out of pocket, but it serves you right for gambling on something as unreliable as the weather . . . .

Blowing 30 knots here just now and grey, but the rain is off for the moment.

A kind gentleman has sent us some unexpected drinking vouchers, so we will be eating out tonight and forgetting our weather woes for a while.
- Nick 8)

Image

drumtochty
Able Seaman
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:17 pm
Location: Drumtochty Glen, Auchenblae

Postby drumtochty » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:04 pm

The rain is so bad around Tewkesbury that the Severn Trent Water Authority has said there will only be drinking water in a large area of Gloucestershire till later today. The local drinking water treatment plant has been flooded . There has never been flooding at the plant before as it is well above the flood plain.

Insurance companies are telling people that they will not insure them again as this is their second or higher claim.

There are people being rescued from boats in a Marina as the reckon the boats will be lifted out the Marina as they are expecting more rain this afternoon and in the evening.

Cars stranded on the M5 for 10 hours.


Spain seems quite nice!!

Mum
Able Seaman
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:23 pm
Location: Welsh Wales

Postby Mum » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:07 pm

Having told you earlier that it wasn't raining,just thought I'd let you know it's now pouring again,so road to shop closed again I expect - good tging Dad bought 2 bottles of whisky. I'd definaintely vote for stay in Spain

Mum : :cry:

SteveM
Able Seaman
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:21 pm

Postby SteveM » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:53 pm

Hi, both
Congrats on your voyage to Spain - glad to hear of your safe arrival; I shall sink a dram in honour thereof.
Best wishes to you both - see you whenever you get back.
All the best
Steve and Ruth

p.s. - Nick - your log is a really entertaining read - ever thought about writing it up as a book?

User avatar
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Posts: 5528
Joined: Sun May 12, 2002 4:11 pm
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27
Location: Oban. Scotland
Contact:

Hi Steve and Ruth

Postby Nick » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:05 pm

Hope you enjoyed the dram.

We are still cowering cravenly here and probably will be for the rest of this week - there may be a high pressure building towards the end of the week which will give some more settled weather (with constant Northerlies I expect knowing our luck)

Granuaile is thinking about setting sail for Baltimore (Ireland) tomorrow - but they have a much bigger boat specifically designed for ocean cruising, and a teenage son who is putting them under a lot of pressure to get home.

Meanwhile there are gale warnings in Fitzroy, Biscay, Sole and Fastnet . . . I think I will have to go to the Farmacia for some bravery tablets.
- Nick 8)

Image


Return to “Talk to Nick and Kathy”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests