From Santa Maria, Azores

Forum for messages to Nick & Kathy when they are cruising (currently June-Aug 2010)
User avatar
claymore
Admiral of the Green
Posts: 4022
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 2:55 pm
Boat Type: Claymore
Location: Northern Hemisphere

Postby claymore » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:07 am

love it!
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

User avatar
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Posts: 5523
Joined: Sun May 12, 2002 4:11 pm
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27
Location: Oban. Scotland
Contact:

Just confirmed decision to stay put . . .

Postby Nick » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:11 pm

The weather window for getting to Ponta Delgada would now involve leaving in the next six hours and sailing overnight, hoping to get in before it goes F5-6NNW again early afternoon.

Considering that there is going to be chaos there with all the AZAB and ARC boats, and that the verbal promise of being allowed to stay may not convince harassed officials, we are not keen. I was half thinking of going for it, but Kathy said she wasnçt keen - and as you all know she is usually up for most things.

So - we stay, and hope that the Club Navale don´t ask us to vacate the pontoon - we are very much on there on a grace and favour basis. The other boats here (see the ublog update for details) are heading East or SE so they will probably leave over the weekend - the Swiss boat is going tomorrow morning.

Pity we can´t get lifted out, but there is no possibility of that here . . . we could scrub and antifoul (desperately needed) and check into the hotel for baths and uninterrupted sleep.

Tuesday morning through to Wednesday night looks a little hairy for pontoon-based life forms in Vila do Porto with the wind coming round into the West up to 26 knots, but the swell direction is shown as staying just N of W, so hopefully not too much will get in. Silkie´s Google Earth shot shows the problem of swell refraction very well - and there is some reflection off the cliffs as well. The worst thing is the West or WSW wind, which swings round the cliffs and blows furiously from the South just in our little corner of the harbour.

I just wish we could get a window to get to Terceira . . . it is a bombproof marina, friends are there and it is not full of blue water racers and rallyists - but it is 145nm WNW of here, so might as well be on the dark side of the moon really.

How we managed to get ourselves into this position is beyond me really. Ann and Arthur on Star Swan are snug in Calheta, probably checked into the hotel again, and won´t be heading this way until all this nonsense stops. For us, if it never gets better and everything stays strong in the N for ever then back to Madeira might be our only escape route - or maybe Lisbon or Lagos or . . .

So stop mucking about you lot back home and send the Azores High back here where it belongs with a flea in its ear, OK?

The saga continues . . . nearly as exciting as sailing innit?
- Nick 8)

Image

User avatar
Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 3485
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:55 pm
Boat Type: Hurley 22
Location: Bonnie Scotland
Contact:

Re: Just confirmed decision to stay put . . .

Postby Silkie » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:29 pm

Nick wrote:. . . nearly as exciting as sailing innit?

It's been a flamin' education for me! Good news on the weather front though - I'm sailing next weekend so there will be a deep low off the west coast of Scotland and the Azores high will be pushed firmly back to it's rightful position.
we can be heroes

EagerVega
Able Seaman
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:44 pm
Location: Kilmore Quay, Co. Wexford, Ireland

Postby EagerVega » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:31 pm

Nick,

Just looking at the 9 day forecast charts.
The Azores high is almost certainly returning to you, rather slowly. In 9 days time they predict it to be established again. The charts show north or northwest winds to be the prevailing direction in the meantime.

Cheers,

Nigel

User avatar
Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 3485
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:55 pm
Boat Type: Hurley 22
Location: Bonnie Scotland
Contact:

Postby Silkie » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:20 am

Had a PM from Parahandy who says "there's a decent weather window opening from midnight 12th to midday 15th. 10 to 15kn from the west" though I see he has registered on here now so perhaps he will elaborate himself.

Welcome aboard Para. :tiphat:
we can be heroes

User avatar
claymore
Admiral of the Green
Posts: 4022
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 2:55 pm
Boat Type: Claymore
Location: Northern Hemisphere

Postby claymore » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:14 am

If he comes in here - I'm aff
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

User avatar
Aja
Old Salt
Posts: 837
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:08 pm
Boat Type: Moody 346
Location: Kames
Contact:

Postby Aja » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:53 am

claymore wrote:If he comes in here - I'm aff


Promise?

Donald

User avatar
ParaHandy
Old Salt
Posts: 697
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:11 am

Postby ParaHandy » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:25 pm

claymore wrote:If he comes in here - I'm aff


get some work done, ye auld goat ...

User avatar
ParaHandy
Old Salt
Posts: 697
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:11 am

Postby ParaHandy » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:02 pm

Silkie wrote:there's a decent weather window

GMDSS Metarea2 at 0900 this morning to 1200 tomorrow
ACORES :
West or Northwest 3 to 5, backing West or Southwest 4 to 6 later,
and increasing 7 in far northwest at end. Gusts. Moderate locally
rough in northeast. Showers locally thundery in northwest at end.

140m to NW with wind off the nose into nw sea ... perhaps not. Could get to Delgada which gets him within 90m of Heroismo ready for another dash later on. might be only way to do it as N, NW winds seem to be sticking

User avatar
claymore
Admiral of the Green
Posts: 4022
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 2:55 pm
Boat Type: Claymore
Location: Northern Hemisphere

Postby claymore » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:27 pm

I had to smile at the line in Nick's post where he said that Cathy was game for most things...she certainly was when she took him on. :lol:
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

User avatar
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Posts: 5523
Joined: Sun May 12, 2002 4:11 pm
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27
Location: Oban. Scotland
Contact:

We are in a hotel . . .

Postby Nick » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:47 pm

But just for one night - only way to get a shower, and we are doing some washing in the sink and watching BBC World.

Just had a look at the latest GRIB and there are steady strong Westerlies (F5-6) here for the next five days with an occasional mini-depression giving a burst of F7-8 SW for six hours or so, which will make life on the pontoon very interesting. The only ray of sunshine is that Magic Seaweed's swell charts show nothing South of West and no worse than about 4m, so that is a bit of a relief - assuming we can place any faith in it.

After that it seems to quieten down sensibly for at least 48 hours if not more. We will either go to Sao Miguel if there is space or motor all the way into the wind to Terceira. We will then collect our scattered wits and plan our escape from this oceanic hellhole they call the Azores.

In view of the fact that the E Atlantic is obviously having a hyperactive year we are at the moment favouring minimising our exposure by heading straight for NW Spain (somewhere between Bayona & La Coruna) then asking Claymore and Para to sail the boat back from there while we fly home.

Have updated the blog - they are allowing me to plug my laptop into the LAN here now.

:umbrella:
- Nick 8)

Image

User avatar
ash
Yellow Admiral
Posts: 1706
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:14 pm
Boat Type: Moody 346
Location: Tarbert, East Loch Tarbert, Loch Fyne, Scotland
Contact:

Re: We are in a hotel . . .

Postby ash » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:26 pm

Glad to hear that yourself, Kathy, and Fairwinds are all well, and that you're having a night of relative luxury.

Nick wrote: then asking Claymore and Para to sail the boat back from there while we fly home.


I assume that the above is said tongue in cheek - or are things that black at the moment. It will get better - if you can safely leave Fairwinds - and you don't then spend the night worrying about her - then treat yourself to more nights ashore.

Thinking about you.

Ash

BTW - Don't know if you've a chance to check other forums - Steve B and Mike Freeman are in Helenburgh the second half of this week to fit a Beta in a Vega at Rhu. I don't have any work this week so I'm going to meet them and pick up advice on Beta fitting. My engine is ready for dispatch once I've paid Steve my monies.
Last edited by ash on Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 3485
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:55 pm
Boat Type: Hurley 22
Location: Bonnie Scotland
Contact:

Re: We are in a hotel . . .

Postby Silkie » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:57 pm

ash wrote:Thinking about you.
Likewise.
we can be heroes

User avatar
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Posts: 5523
Joined: Sun May 12, 2002 4:11 pm
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27
Location: Oban. Scotland
Contact:

Postby Nick » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:53 pm

Nick wrote:
then asking Claymore and Para to sail the boat back from there while we fly home.


Yes, that bit was tongue in cheek - but coming back via Iberia is an option we are considering as it is a shorter passage - only 800nm from Ponta Delgada to Bayona. If things would stop swirling around for a week or so we might be more optimistic of a smooth passage to Ireland.

Amazing the contrast in the Atlantic charts BM and AM

(Before and After Mojomo)

For now, we are looking at leaving on Friday - Sao Miguel would be the preferred destination, but they say they have no space until Sunday - so it might be Terceira, which would involve about 100 nm with the wind right on the nose. We will of course check the weather again tomorrow and Thursday, as no two days forecasts are the same.
- Nick 8)

Image

User avatar
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Posts: 5523
Joined: Sun May 12, 2002 4:11 pm
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27
Location: Oban. Scotland
Contact:

AAAAAAAAAAAaaarrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Nick » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:50 pm

Weather has all changed again . . . . W F6 for later Friday, more F7 W & NW coming on Saturday

There is perhaps a wet swelly generally fetid window for getting to Ponta Delgada overnight tomorrow. If it stays open we are taking it.

Have telephoned Pedro at PD marina and thrown ourselves on his mercy . . . he says he can find us a mooring if we turn up Friday, and the ARC is leaving on Saturday so we should get into the marina then.

Of course, the weather could all be different tomorrow, but if it is looking the same then we will leave sometime tomorrow evening and arrive PD Friday morning.

Island paradises - dontcha just luv 'em?
- Nick 8)

Image


Return to “Talk to Nick and Kathy”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests