New Thread

Forum for messages to Nick & Kathy when they are cruising (currently June-Aug 2010)
Balchis
Midshipman

New Thread

Postby Balchis » Mon May 21, 2007 6:07 pm

New thread – well we’re looking for some new thread as well – to stitch a new cover for the wind steering vane. ‘ have bent some ali pipe to fit under the mizzen boom.

Hi Nick – Hi Kathy… ‘ been following every word , (but couldn’t access it every day)

but if I could hark back to your problem with the masthead LED light and the VHF radio; we went in the water 2 weeks ago Thursday and only just got round to testing the radio & masthead light last weekend. Anyway, it’s an LED (staggered pin fitting) from UltraLeds and the radio is a NASA DSC. Didn’t have any hint of extra noise that I had to squelch out or anything else. I can’t remember if there is a choice from the supplier but I got the voltage stabilised version of all the LEDs I got from them. You may have a duff (ie noisy) LED (I don’t know if that’s possible…) or it may be with the radio……

What’s the rough plan for August – September??

Trev

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

VHF interference and plans

Postby Nick » Mon May 21, 2007 8:25 pm

Well . . . now we are really confused.

When we first noticed it we switched off the tricolour and the interference stopped. When we switched it back on it started again.

However . . . I just tried it again and now there is permanent interference on the radio on Ch.16 and switching the tri on and off makes no difference, but other channels (6, 8, 66 etc) seem to be OK - no interference - until you switch the tricolour on, then the same interference on whatever channel you are tuned to.

But . . . it is permanent on 16 now even with the bulb switched off.

Looks like the last time we switched the light on it did permanent damage to a circuit in the radio and Ch. 16 is now U/S. Any ideas??? Luckily we have a hand-held - it is usually in the grab bag, but I guess it will be playing a bigger part in the rest of the journey and we will be looking for a new VHF when we get back.

Re. future plans - we are hoping to be back about the middle of August and do some visiting, then hopefully get a bit of sailing in before the end of the season.

Great to hear from you - how are you two and how has your season been so far?
- Nick 8)

EagerVega
Able Seaman

VHF Interference

Postby EagerVega » Tue May 22, 2007 2:33 pm

Hi Nick,

Last time I had interference on VHF I simply rewired the aerial plug at back of set. A few wires on outer coax were causing the problem. Probably not as simple in your case, but worth a try. Many aerials also have a connection at top of mast, which is a very bad feature. This connection is also notorious for corrosion etc.

Have fun,

Best wishes,

Nigel.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Thanks Nigel

Postby Nick » Tue May 22, 2007 2:44 pm

That wouldn't explain why it is only on 16 - is there somethng different about / a separate circuit for CH16?

I would like to try another VHF set to see if the same problem occurs - i.e. is it the aerial or the set?

Will keep this thread updated with any developments, but in the meantime it looks like it is a good job we have the handheld - although it means we won't be monitoring 16 constantly when we are offshore.
- Nick 8)

Balchis
Midshipman

A bit of history to my radio probs

Postby Balchis » Tue May 22, 2007 6:51 pm

Firstly - the old set which came with the boat had been left on the boat over winter and a couple of years ago we were leaving Ireland to go to Isle of Man and the set wouldn't work or it was intermitant or something like that... Anyway we ended up doing a bus trip from Port St Mary up to Ramsay and buying the DSC set. After a few month with the old set sitting in the house I was going to get a friend of a mutual friend to have a look at the duff set & see if it was fixable...... and when demonstrating the problem to our friend .... the 'kin radio was fine & wouldn't repeat the problem.

Have also recently had problems with the Navtex which I didn't take off last winter (the only piece of electronics not taken off) but it is now working after I took it to bits and gave it a severe looking at and a clean up with an old toothbrush. It was starting to show signs of furry growth round some of the components. The problem in both cases was the dampness inside the electronic boxes.

The problem on your radio may be similar but more difficult to detect with more boards & components in there
I suppose the question is - did you have your electronics at home during your last winter in UK & do you think there may be dampness inside [ also bearing in mind that in the end I didn't need to buy a new radio as it came back to life] all may not be lost with your radio yet...

As for this season so far ... we haven't been out of the loch yet. Carolyn finishes at the end of June and we hope to be in the Scillies around 24th July (via Canna...) for a weather window to La Coruna. Rias in August??

T

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Radio and Rias

Postby Nick » Tue May 22, 2007 7:17 pm

Hi Trev,

I don't think it's damp as the set is incredibly well sealed and damp hasn't been a problem - we have just had our first rain for months and humidity is always low in these regions. The radio has been on the boat since it was installed though.

Anyway, you can read the latest correspondence with McMurdo in the Gear ang Gadgets forum thread

The Rias were fantastic - in many ways still the highlight of our trip, and we would love to go back. I wouldn't like to have to tight a schedule for getting back across Biscay though - better to be able to wait for a weather window rather than have to go because circumstances dictate.

Anyway, hope you get there, have a great cruise and get back to do some closer to home cruising with Fairwinds towards the end of the season. Lack of company has been the major headache on this trip - very few Brits cruising the Canaries or Madeira, but hopefuly the Azores will be more sociable.
- Nick 8)

Balchis
Midshipman

After the Rias..

Postby Balchis » Tue May 22, 2007 8:31 pm

After the Rias the rough plan was to keep heading down then into the Algarve - October ish. We have friends with a new house on the border 5k up river. Depends on the weather whether we stay or fly back for the winter but dont intend bringing the boat back up til the following year - or maybe the year after - after a year in the Med... We'll see how it goes , makes no odds where the boat is parked for the winter , just whether it will be warm enough for us to be on board or not. Maybe we'll meet up before we get to the Scillies or there abouts for a couple of Gwyn Eye.

T

Return to “Talk to Nick and Kathy”