Next leg . . .

Forum for messages to Nick & Kathy when they are cruising (currently June-Aug 2010)
drumtochty
Able Seaman

Postby drumtochty » Wed May 16, 2007 6:55 pm

When I last sailed from Auchenblae to Brazil we had low pressure all the way for eight years.

I found it was easy to oversheet the boat with the mid sail set to f22 at 1/250 of a second. With two reefs in the rudder.

I always set the pilot boat to shadow us at 500m to the Stern.

Therefore with a Pentium 4 mobile proccessor in the laptop. I would estimate that the weather will be calm from 28th of May until 29th of July 2007

Joan

Timbo
Able Seaman

Re: Weather rubbish

Postby Timbo » Wed May 16, 2007 7:11 pm

Nick wrote:The low pressure over NW Africa is now forecast to deepen to 1007 and extend all the way over to Madeira and beyond next weekend. This pushes the strongest winds further West, but still leaves a horible corridoor of string winds between us and Santa Maria.

You really need to watch those string winds, they can catch an unwary sailor out. Especially when lurking in corridoors, horible or otherwise. Drink more beer rather than become bestringed, is my advice.
Tim

drumtochty
Able Seaman

Postby drumtochty » Wed May 16, 2007 8:05 pm

Agreed Tim

You have to nip those stringles in the bud.

It must be wonderful for the distillery visitors to receive your pearls of wisdom on a daily basis.

eddie

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Wed May 16, 2007 11:34 pm

Bestringment is a fate even more horible to contemplate than disenstayment and is certainly to be avoided at all costs. Quality beer is indeed efficacious to this end AFAIK though malt whisky is also favoured by many.

In response to the Drumtochty's otherwise excellent trimming recommendations I would comment that reefing the rudder should only be considered as a measure of last resort, IMO.
we can be heroes

Return to “Talk to Nick and Kathy”