Next leg . . .

Forum for messages to Nick & Kathy when they are cruising (currently June-Aug 2010)
User avatar
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Posts: 5546
Joined: Sun May 12, 2002 4:11 pm
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27
Location: Oban. Scotland
Contact:

Next leg . . .

Postby Nick » Sun May 13, 2007 3:15 pm

If we leave tomorrow we may just stay ahead of the 20+ knot winds forecast to spread from Madeira across to the Azores over the next week.

If we stay we are probably looking at a minimum of another week here before the next spell of reasonable winds . . . .

For going:
- We will get to the Azores with 2 months cruising time available
- We might get stuck here for more than another week
- It is a bit expensive here

For waiting:
- We feel good after our comfortable pasage up from the Canaries - it would be a pity to spoil it with a nasty lumpy ride to Santa Maria now
- I have some work to do and have web access here
- This is a nice place
- We want to go into Funchal to try to get a 12V power supply for the computer
- We might even do some levada walking

At the moment we are tending towards hanging on for a bit in the hope of a better window for the next leg.

What does the panel think?
Last edited by Nick on Wed May 16, 2007 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Nick 8)

Image

drumtochty
Able Seaman
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:17 pm
Location: Drumtochty Glen, Auchenblae

Postby drumtochty » Sun May 13, 2007 4:06 pm

Well it rained on Tuesday and Thursday in the Lake District last week so that's no help.

Dorothy the Dog liked the left over sausages and bacon rind from Willy and Jill's breakfast last week as she is used to living with veggies.

We went up to the Fintry hill climb today, Sunday to see Airlie on the first outing with his new car but it was misfiring so he was not competitive.

It started raining at lunchtime so we retired to Banchory for lunch which was very nice.

Therefore taking all these points into consideration I would say go.

Eddie

User avatar
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Posts: 5546
Joined: Sun May 12, 2002 4:11 pm
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27
Location: Oban. Scotland
Contact:

For myself . . .

Postby Nick » Sun May 13, 2007 6:20 pm

I bow to your expertise . . .

But the 1st mate thinks another week or so here wouldn't be a disaster, so I think we will probably not be casting off for the Azores tomorrow.

Just been for a walk allegedly to look for a bus stop and a garage to top up the Portuguese sim card, but instead found an old sugar cane mill and an art centre plus some amazing views. I had forgotten justhow incredibly vertical Madeira was.
- Nick 8)

Image

Timbo
Able Seaman
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:00 am
Location: Seil

Postby Timbo » Sun May 13, 2007 7:02 pm

Well my engine has started spewing oil out of the wrong orifices. Unless someone has secretly converted it to a total loss oiling system, there is something wrong. I would, on this basis, recommend staying for a wee bit. Not entirely related to your dilemma, I know, but it is all I have at the moment.
Tim

SteveM
Able Seaman
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:21 pm

Postby SteveM » Sun May 13, 2007 7:43 pm

Nick, to make your decision you have to get your priorities right:

which has the better beer - Madeira or the Azores?

Once you've worked that out, you'll find your decision made for you.

(Next week: how to eradicate world poverty.)

User avatar
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Posts: 5546
Joined: Sun May 12, 2002 4:11 pm
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27
Location: Oban. Scotland
Contact:

Thank you all

Postby Nick » Sun May 13, 2007 8:44 pm

. . . good advice is hard to get, so of course all this is very welcome.

We are tending towards hanging on here for a while . . . the beer is good Steve, and Tim's oil explosion is obviously a contraindication.

Although Eddie may have a point in that rain in Banchory is auspicious, I am not so convinced by his other points, so on balance we stay.

Meanwhile the blog has been updated with all the news fit to print since our last evening in Graciosa. hope you enjoy it - we did.
- Nick 8)

Image

User avatar
Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 3488
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:55 pm
Boat Type: Hurley 22
Location: Bonnie Scotland
Contact:

It's pretty much 50:50:50 at the moment

Postby Silkie » Sun May 13, 2007 9:13 pm

One go, one stay and one fool who thinks you'll be influenced by the price of the beer.

FWIW I think you should listen to that inner voice.. and go along with the wishes of the first mate.

Mutiny is such an ugly word.
different colours made of tears

User avatar
hazard to shipping
Dazed Kipper
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:40 pm
Location: N.E. Scotland

Re: should I stay or should I go

Postby hazard to shipping » Mon May 14, 2007 6:51 pm

Don't know about you, but I bet Graham (Puffin) is glad he has arrived and doesn't need to go anywhere for a while. Good to see he is safe and well.
ps I agree with Silkie - go with the first mate's decision - too small for a mutiny is Fairwinds!!
Last edited by hazard to shipping on Mon May 14, 2007 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Posts: 5546
Joined: Sun May 12, 2002 4:11 pm
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27
Location: Oban. Scotland
Contact:

Steady on there your holiness . . .

Postby Nick » Mon May 14, 2007 6:53 pm

one fool who thinks you'll be influenced by the price of the beer

Steve knows money is no object to wealthy ocean cruising yachties like us . . . if you check you will see he was referring to the quality of the beverage as the movement indicator.

Don't know about the beer in the Azores, but am enjoying a very nice Coral (the local brew here) just now.

sspacespacespacepacespacespaceImage
- Nick 8)

Image

User avatar
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Posts: 5546
Joined: Sun May 12, 2002 4:11 pm
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27
Location: Oban. Scotland
Contact:

Puffin

Postby Nick » Mon May 14, 2007 6:55 pm

See post in Shooting the Breeze
- Nick 8)

Image

User avatar
Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 3488
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:55 pm
Boat Type: Hurley 22
Location: Bonnie Scotland
Contact:

Beer values

Postby Silkie » Mon May 14, 2007 7:01 pm

Nick wrote:
one fool who thinks you'll be influenced by the price of the beer

Steve knows money is no object to wealthy ocean cruising yachties like us . . . if you check you will see he was referring to the quality of the beverage as the movement indicator.


Aahh.. Apologies to Steve. Being a cheapskate myself I jumped to the wrong conclusion.
different colours made of tears

User avatar
hazard to shipping
Dazed Kipper
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:40 pm
Location: N.E. Scotland

Re: Puffin

Postby hazard to shipping » Mon May 14, 2007 7:02 pm

Just read your update Nick - Thanks for that. Amazing thing to have done - again. Wonder what he will do next?

User avatar
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Posts: 5546
Joined: Sun May 12, 2002 4:11 pm
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27
Location: Oban. Scotland
Contact:

Graham

Postby Nick » Mon May 14, 2007 7:44 pm

Wonder what he will do next?

My bet is on drink more beer . . .
- Nick 8)

Image

User avatar
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Posts: 5546
Joined: Sun May 12, 2002 4:11 pm
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27
Location: Oban. Scotland
Contact:

Weather . . .

Postby Nick » Tue May 15, 2007 10:46 pm

Amazing innit . . .

All the time we were working our way up the E coast of Fuertaventura and Lanzarote we were watching the weather and saying 'great for going to Madeira just now'.

Got to Graciosa and it's rubbish for three weeks. All the time we were there we were looking at the weather and saying 'Now if we were in Madeira it would be great to go to the Azores'

Well, now we are in Madeira and it is rubbish for the forseeable future between here and Santa Maria . . .

Good job we have time to wait and a nice place to do it in. This is a pleasure cruise, we are not going to punish ourselves unnecessarily . . .
- Nick 8)

Image

User avatar
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Posts: 5546
Joined: Sun May 12, 2002 4:11 pm
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27
Location: Oban. Scotland
Contact:

Weather rubbish

Postby Nick » Wed May 16, 2007 3:05 pm

The low pressure over NW Africa is now forecast to deepen to 1007 and extend all the way over to Madeira and beyond next weekend. This pushes the strongest winds further West, but still leaves a horible corridoor of string winds between us and Santa Maria.

Is this normal for a vigourous low pressure system to be able to bully the Azores High like this and how long could it last for? Anyone got any ideas? It means Mojomo's got calm seas all the way, but then of course they really need them . . .
- Nick 8)

Image


Return to “Talk to Nick and Kathy”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests