'Hercules' Sadler 32

Forum for messages to Nick & Kathy when they are cruising (currently June-Aug 2010)
ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

'Hercules' Sadler 32

Postby ash » Tue May 01, 2007 12:45 pm

Hi Nick & Kathy

I've just had the June edition of PBO delivered, and find that the 'Learning from Experience' article is by the owners of 'Hercules', the boat which you found adrift.

Will say more once I've read the article fully.

Ash

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

'Hercules' Article from PBO

Postby ash » Tue May 01, 2007 2:47 pm

Hi

I've scanned the 3 pages, and provided links below:

ImageImageImage

I have reduced the origional scans to 800 wide JPegs, but I hope that they are readable.

I have PDF, and TIFF versions as well, but I don't know how I would make them available to you.

Ash

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Oh blimey . . .

Postby Nick » Tue May 01, 2007 6:50 pm

. . . so it hadn't even been rolled, engine was still fine and no salt water inside.

Now of course I wish we had got on board.

Why they say they couldn't have motored to the Canaries I dunno - with a full fuel load they were less than 200 nm from Santa Cruz.

Thanks very much for this Dave, have saved the pix to read the story at leisure.
- Nick 8)

drumtochty
Able Seaman

Postby drumtochty » Tue May 01, 2007 7:20 pm

No problem Nick

We will send Jill out to you and you can pick up the boat on your way to Maderia. You can put her aboard to sail it to Maderia.

Eddie

jeffree
Able Seaman

Postby jeffree » Wed May 02, 2007 5:01 pm

hundreds of extra litres of fuel :shock: :shock: :shock:

having read the article, I reckon maybe they could've jettison some of the debris possibly. The fact that their entire life was on the boat, a lot to play for and possible paniciky actions. However I'm no sailor so cannot reallly put myself in these shoes. They said they were exhausted, perhaps they did not rotate the sleep?

anyway a good read and I would have loved to been there when you passed the boat Dad, would've been fun to be a salvager :D

I understand the sea was choppish?
Jeff

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Choppish . . .

Postby Nick » Thu May 03, 2007 1:48 pm

Hi Jeff,

It was worse than it looks in the pix on the blog. The Hercules was pitching and rolling a lot - and a mastless boat tends to roll faster than one with a mast.

I sometimes wish we had made more effort . . . with lots of diesel on board we could have motored her to Santa Cruxz quite easily. At the time I assumed the batteries would be U/S, the engine might have been damaged in the rollover and that there would have been a lot of salt water damage inside.

Probably never get another chance at a salvage, but we might have damaged Fairwinds or someone might have got hurt. I think we probably did the right thing.
- Nick 8)

Return to “Talk to Nick and Kathy”