Delivery passage

Forum for general cruising topics
Bodach na mara
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Westerly Seahawk

Delivery passage

Postby Bodach na mara » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:02 pm

Anyone know roughly how long it would take to sail a boat from Gosport to the Clyde? I am considering a 34 foot Westerly there and the owner has offered to help me get it home.
Ken

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Re: Delivery passage

Postby aquaplane » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:46 pm

The realistic answer is, it depends.

Did Dylan do his delivery trip in a little over a week from Falmouth? Maybe a day or 4 more than that?
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:08 am

Ask Telo
He's just done something similar but as WalkonwaterBob says - it depends on the weather - Telo was offered Cornish citizenship and had to register for cooncil tax he was there so long.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Postby Booby Trapper » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:30 pm

As said, depends. Are you stopping or sailing non stop? Rough guess.... divide the miles by 5 that will give you the amount of hours. Add in any stopping time and you're close to the answer.

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:40 pm

We were held up by mechanical failure and bad weather, but breaking the journey down it was

1. Portsmouth to Studland Bay ⚓ - day sail;
2. Studland Bay to Wemouth - day sail;
3. Weymouth to Mousehole ⚓/Falmouth - overnight;
4. Falmouth to Newlyn - daysail;
5. Newlyn to Kilmore Quay - overnight;
6. Kilmore Quay to Arklow - day sail;
7. Arklow to Howth/Lambay Island - day sail (left Howth after one night but had to ⚓ at nearby Lambay Island to shelter from bad weather);
8. Lambay to Carrickfergus - day sail;
9. Carrickfegus to Craighouse ⚓ - day sail;
10. Craighouse to Dallens Bay - day sail.

We were two, and without crew and without going at it hammer and tongs, I'd guess that most passages would be between one and two weeks. Tupny, a Colvic Watson motorsailer now resident in Loch Leven did more or less the same journey in about a week, but they had time limitations which we didn't. Best to avoid time constraints, enjoy the passage, and be prepared to have her tied up somewhere if weather turns atrocious or you have to attend to other commitments.

Bodach na mara
Master Mariner

Postby Bodach na mara » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:41 pm

Thanks for all the advice folks. Telo's breakdown (sorry!) of the legs is particularly useful as is the advice to have no time constraint and not to rush the trip. Unfortunately we have our second look at the boat on Saturday and hopefully do the business. We have a wedding to attend two weeks from that date. Then my cousin is coming to stay for four days the next weekend. It will be late July before we have a clear break of more that two weeks. Unless I have forgotten a hospital appointment.

So I think we will leave the job to Mr Shepherd and one of his big lorries.
Ken

Alan_D
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Westerly Konsort

Postby Alan_D » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:30 pm

Bodach na mara wrote:
So I think we will leave the job to Mr Shepherd and one of his big lorries.

A good decision, in my view. That way you will discover the snags, idiosyncrasies and broken and missing bits of your new boat in a safer and more manageable way.

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Postby Telo » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:56 pm

Bodach na mara wrote:So I think we will leave the job to Mr Shepherd and one of his big lorries.

Probably a good choice. Given the conditions that we were sailing in, it did sometimes feel as though we were testing our new boat to destruction..... Not being on your home turf does make repairs expensive particularly if you you are making temporary repairs that will be undone later.

Telo
Admiral of the Red

EDIT: Delivery passage - the Ardglass stage

Postby Telo » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:12 am

It's too late to edit the post but I neglected to mention the Ardglass legs;

Lambay to Ardglass - overnight (not necessary but only because we left in late afternoon when weather improved);
Ardglass to Carrickfergus - day sail.

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Postby cpedw » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:47 am

Bodach na mara wrote:So I think we will leave the job to Mr Shepherd and one of his big lorries.

That's what we did (Plymouth to Barcaldine) about the same time that Telo was pursuing their odyssey. It felt like a cop-out but it was easy, apart from on the wallet, and the boat came without an electric windlass. I'm past 60 and getting wimpier by the day.

Shepherds were excellent, as were the boatyards at each end.

Derek

Bodach na mara
Master Mariner

Postby Bodach na mara » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:08 am

Then there is the problem of ground transport for me. Not forgetting the owner who lives in Yorkshire.

If I drove down, Irene would have no car at home and I would need to travel back to collect the car. So from home, the Google route is:- train to Glasgow, National Express bus to Heathrow (!) bus to somewhere starting with W, another bus to Portsmouth, walk to Gosport ferry, walk from ferry to Haslar where the boat is lying. Total, about 13 hours. I think Mr S has the job.
Ken

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:42 pm

When Chiron came up here from Windermere the cheapest transport was to Whitehaven but getting 4 crew back there to cars from Tayvallich was expensive and time consuming. The extra to Kip was only £100 net after removing the bus/train fares. Mum drove the car from Kip to TV.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Bodach na mara
Master Mariner

Postby Bodach na mara » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:56 pm

I now what you mean Bob. When my daughter lived in Maryport we usually travelled by car, but my wife once went down by train. Three trains were involved. The first leg (to Glasgow) was fine. The next (Virgin to Carlisle) was fast and comfortable but 3 minutes late in arriving at Carlisle. That gave her time to run across the bridge and watch the coastal route Preston train slowly building up speed as it left the platform. That was when she discovered that the Glasgow to Ayrshire service is brilliant compared with the Cumbrian trains.
Ken

Return to “Shooting the breeze”