SIPR 2016

Forum for general cruising topics
marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

SIPR 2016

Postby marisca » Thu May 19, 2016 9:50 am

Aye, it's that time again, time to don semmit, sannies and vaseline for a wee wander into the hills. Marisca will be there with 2 non-pregnant runners - I don't think it's anything to do with us but 3 of our previous lasses have just sprogged.
For the armchair warriors amongst you, the boats are all being forced to carry (and pay for!) Yellowbricks so you can watch our slow and careful progress over the rocks on http://ybtl/sipr2016. Also available on AIS.

marisca
Yellow Admiral

Re: SIPR 2016

Postby marisca » Mon May 23, 2016 9:06 pm

Is no-one going to ask how Marisca got on?

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby ash » Mon May 23, 2016 9:30 pm

marisca wrote:Is no-one going to ask how Marisca got on?

Didn't realise that it was this soon! Never got your yellow brick road link to work.

Anyway, how did Marisca fare? Saturday must have been miserable. Did you finish yesterday or today? You shouldn't have needed the oars surely.

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

marisca
Yellow Admiral

Postby marisca » Tue May 24, 2016 9:08 am

We won Class 3 and the lasses are "Molls of the Mull". Wonderful mixture of sun, torrential rain, reefing, flat calm, anything but flat calm, spinnaker runs. We went through the overfalls off the MoK backwards at 5+kts SOG and filled the cockpit - I hate to think what it would have been like with any wind!
Our YB tracker gave up off Jura which apparently caused concern. Trouble with all this techie stuff - I used to be able to disappear for weeks with no one worrying, now it seems more than 5 minutes without some form of communication is a problem.

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby ash » Tue May 24, 2016 10:34 am

marisca wrote:We won Class 3 and the lasses are "Molls of the Mull". .............. We went through the overfalls off the MoK backwards at 5+kts SOG and filled the cockpit - I hate to think what it would have been like with any wind!
Congratulations.

What do your runners think of such antics? Or are they fast asleep? I assume that they are non sailors.
I suppose that if they have the bottle to run up and down mountains, then they won't be fazed.

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Tue May 24, 2016 10:48 am

Was following your progress all the way, from here in New Zealand. Assumed your yellow brick went Duff, when your AIS position kept moving, but the other had you floundering off Arthur's light. Funny watching the antics off mok, some drew right spiders webs there. Congrats on winning Cl 3, you gave a few faster boats a run for it too.
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

marisca
Yellow Admiral

Postby marisca » Tue May 24, 2016 10:57 am

Through the overfalls one of the runners was in the cockpit, the other below asleep. The most fazed was Chris who was "resting his eyes" stretched out on what, at that moment, was the weather side when the wave landed. The girls just took it and all our other antics in their stride.

I think you would have enjoyed this one Geoff. It had everything. We almost made the tide round MoK on Saturday night but the wind dropped about half an hour too soon. Tried short tacking up the shore but gave up when the flow was a knot and a half agin and dropped the hook (a shiny newly galvanised CQR look-alike) which rumbled then held with 50m of chain in ~12m depth. Found we were about 20m off the shore when the light came! The amusement of anchor watch was watching others' navigation lights slowly heading back towards Jura.

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Tue May 24, 2016 2:20 pm

marisca wrote:We won Class 3 and the lasses are "Molls of the Mull".

Congratulations to you all!

We went through the overfalls off the MoK backwards at 5+kts SOG and filled the cockpit - I hate to think what it would have been like with any wind!

Something about racing that I can't put my finger on........

;)

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Tue May 24, 2016 8:08 pm

Well done.

I'l hide the bit about filling the cockpit from my crew, he says typing whilst hiding behind the sofa! :D
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Postby Booby Trapper » Thu May 26, 2016 8:12 pm

I did notice your yellow brick stopped just south of Jura. Also noticed one boat retired in Jura after a meet with some rocks. Was there much damage?

marisca
Yellow Admiral

Postby marisca » Fri May 27, 2016 9:51 pm

Goat Rock claimed another victim despite the cardinal mark. Hearsay has her holed, supported by Islay RNLI and the Craighouse ferry rib, patched and taken to Ardfern.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”