BT

Forum for general cruising topics
claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Re: BT

Postby claymore » Sat May 21, 2016 5:35 pm

ParaHandy wrote:
claymore wrote:The box is fitted to the outside of the house. An engineer has to come and run a cable from that to the inside and then that is plugged into the new router. The old cable is also removed by BT and they say that they check that all is fine and dandy once that is all done.
We are now deadline day + 4 and not a fekking peep - despite their promise that someone would be in touch within 48 hours. Tomorrow I am going to do my malevolent best to get some satisfaction from the useless bunch of cretins.

For the princely sum of 3 quid (extra) they will upgrade me to fibre, except that the nearest thingy is 4 miles away ie it's still in its kennel at the exchange and won't come out to play unless there's + a good few wanting it which there aren't. How the fek you have got it when you live in Outer Mongolia is a puzzle except that, you might be suffering from a lack of thingy too. The fibre cable is more use for tooth flossing?

Surrounded by rural businesses with support from CLA.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Thu May 26, 2016 12:03 am

The Sky people are digging up the whole of Prestwick taking fibre to your doorstep in the sure and certain knowledge that everyone will want to connect at a price. Simultaneously, the green pipe brigade who facilitate our 'old friends trip to the sea' are trenching the same streets... double fencing/noise/vehicles/traffic lights...
I suppose the ultimate benefit will be the ability to pass the stuff that comes from the fibre directly to the pipe that takes it over the horizon.
That grump over, I assume I will be able to connect to hyperspeed in minutes when the time comes, as the 'box' is tantalisingly close.
However, I'm happy (ish) with the current service, 4800 baud runs my teletype at full tilt.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Fri May 27, 2016 8:40 am

The latest:
Apparently there is a fault with the fibres they 'blew' down to Claymore Towers. They will have more information on June the 6th by 20:00 hrs.....
Watch this space.....
Regards
Claymore

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 41C

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Fri May 27, 2016 9:01 am

A Spiel On Internet Access

Yesterday the 'BT Home Plugs" which extend wifi around my house stopped working. Much button pressing, switching on and off later, still nothing, the computer said 'no ISP available'. One call to to BT and more faffing about solved nothing. I decided to phone the BT help number on the home plug box as obviously it needed some extensive IP address work, maybe even LAN cables and programming. After a 5 minute wait a bloke answered and after I described the problem he asked me if I had switched off and back on again the master home plug (the one connected to the router), 'Ah', I said, 'I had forgotten about that one'. Job done, all working again. There I was all wound up at the thought of a BT battle only to be left jittering from the pre-argument adrenaline rush at my own dullness. To make matters worse my wireless phone cut out as I moved between rooms, so the poor bloke may have thought that I just indignantly hung up on him.
BlowingOldBoots

What time does the 24hour garage close?
http://www.rivalowners.org.uk

ParaHandy
Old Salt

Postby ParaHandy » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:46 pm

The "off" button isn't the only piece of BT equipment required but is the most important. At the behest of the Laird I invested in these plug things, forgot where they all are (herself has parked them in) and now just switch all the power off when the Internet fails which occurs frequently; cue all the electric alarm clocks going off. When the BT Sport via internet goes wrong the frame dithers which is terribly exciting; pulling its plug also works a treat.

I rang BT to enquire about their enhanced fibre offer. A pleasant lady, a Sunderland supporter, explained that I already had the best they offered, Infinity 2, and that she called infinity fibre. However, she did say I could cancel the BT Vision essentials but not on this 'phone number.

Surely himself realises that an official communique from BT at 8pm, unless from my Sunderland lady who sounded a bit of alright and has mistaken him for somebody else eg me, is so unlikely that I'm prepared, under certain circumstances, to offer 1 to 7 on that it doesn't happen. That's the same odds the bookies give for a remain vote.

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:29 am

Is that 7:1 that we remain or 7:1 that we don't?
Regards
Claymore

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:21 pm

Real Progress made this morning. The excitment got too much for me so instead of waiting for my call, I phoned them and spoke with a lovely sounding young lassie called Nuala. All is going swimmingly as she made all the right sounds of sympathy whilst we waited for my details to "come up".........

A couple of minor delays whilst she got onto the "Openreach team.."...

A bit of misunderstanding as I questioned the meaning of a "dig team"

Now, don't get me wrong - Nuala sounded lovely and I'm sure if we had been face to face she would not only have sounded lovely, she would also have looked so - and as for my "details" - I'm convinced they would have come up nicely.

But we were not and nothing happened as there is no "resolution at this time"

Ah - but Joy of Joys - I am to receive an update on Wednesday.

How am I to contain myself?
Regards
Claymore

ParaHandy
Old Salt

Postby ParaHandy » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:35 pm

claymore wrote:Is that 7:1 that we remain or 7:1 that we don't?

To get £1 back you have to give them £7; I presume the thieving gits give you your original stake back as well? Only paid out if we remain.

A fiver that, upon our return at the end of this month from our sailing venture in the Tyrrhenian Sea, Towers is without, we're still in the EU and the boat has several new crew ....

Flobbets
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Westerly Pageant and Pentland

Postby Flobbets » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:18 am

BT have so many folk ferreting out their executives' emails in order to complain, that they have an "Executive level complaints" department. He are the lovely Beverley's details (but don't tell her I told you).

Beverley Matheson
Executive Level Complaints; BT Consumer.
Tel: 01277 326137 | Fax:01925 444 978 |email: Beverley.matheson@bt.com

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:43 pm

My gratitude knows no bounds.
thank you. You have done more to move this vexatious issue than I have achieved in 24 days of mind-numbing fruitlessness!
Regards
Claymore

Flobbets
Able Seaman

Postby Flobbets » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:23 pm

My pleasure. This was what resolved our problems after 92 days without phone or internet. Hope you get sorted.

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:26 pm

Another exciting day - is this all getting too much for you?
2 "Engineers" turned up in separate vans. Just as well really as they had come to test the line to see where the fault was as there were "no lights"
I say just as well because the first chappie didn't have the gear to test the line.
The second one turned up some time later with the gear. he'd never used it before.
Anyway after a lot of faffing around they tested the line. No fault and "all lights are on"
I ask the obvious question - I know I shouldn't but just cannot help myself - "So what do you think is going on here?"
2 very blank looks
"When will an "Engineer" come and connect my box?"
More blank looks
"Could you lads not just run a wire into the house and I'll connect it up?"
"Nother department"
Where will it all end?
Regards
Claymore

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:39 pm

claymore wrote:Where will it all end?

In tears probably.

Yours of course.

Will you get a refund for the loss of service?

Thought not...

Flobbets
Able Seaman

Postby Flobbets » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:55 am

I got a full refund for the time out of service plus an ex-gratia payment for the hassle, via the aforementioned Beverley, so it's worth asking.

Mike

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:04 am

For Feck's sake:
Automatic Mailer
This e-mail has been sent by an automated system, please do not respond to this e-mail.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT here. I have tried calling you today to advise we have encountered an issue providing your Fibre Service. Unfortunately we need to cancel the order and then replace it. Please remain on your Copper Services at the moment and we will be in contact with you again by 8pm on 20.07.16 with an update. Kind regards BT.
Regards
Claymore

Return to “Shooting the breeze”