Tobermory the third time

Forum for general cruising topics
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Tobermory the third time

Postby Nick » Sun May 15, 2016 11:45 pm

Sailed (motored!) up to Tobers yesterday aboard Fairwinds with Catherine, having promised to take her there. She loved it. Sailed ALL the way back today in just 6 hours pontoon to mooring in Balvicar, including sailing through Easdale and Cuan sounds.

Apart from the boom falling off in Tobermory Bay when we took the main down on arrival (broken gooseneck) it was a trouble-free shakedown cruise. We sailed all the way home with the boom lashed on with dyneema - great stuff.
- Nick 8)

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 41C

Re: Tobermory the third time

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Mon May 16, 2016 9:20 am

Sounds like a good sail, especially if it's the first of the season. I did a very similar sail in a Colvic, 'Duet', Oban Sea School's old boat, a great run down and into that bay that I can't spell over the hill from Clachan.

I am back from Western Siberia on Friday, get the boat launched after finishing some jobs a week later, hope the engine has held together after 2 1/2 years not used, then its up to A and R Way at Carirbaan to finish off the joinery and some internal repairs. After that over to Croabh Haven and a new berth, probably late season by the time my schedule and works are completed. We shall see. I have a Whisky locker.

I am looking forward to getting the boat ready, she is anti-fouled just some seacock work, engine servicing and bits of hardware to seal back to the deck, bend on sails and go. She is still unfinished below but that is why I have engaged the services of A and R Way. I bit the bullet, sold the only shares I own because they will never, ever, make me a quid, so better spent on the boat than on a car or a rainy day.

So when I get to Craobh Haven, I hope I don't have to drink by myself, although that wont stop me. Look for the small, bald, fat Scotsman with a drink in one hand, a zombie novel in the other and wearing a tinfoil hat, you are all welcome for a cup of tea or a glass or 2 of Uisge beatha.
BlowingOldBoots

What time does the 24hour garage close?
http://www.rivalowners.org.uk

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Mon May 16, 2016 4:20 pm

Since Im just over the hill from Groovee Craobhee it would be rude not to come and say hello...

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Mon May 16, 2016 5:17 pm

Nick wrote:.
Sailed (motored!) up to Tobers yesterday aboard Fairwinds with Catherine, having promised to take her there. She loved it. Sailed ALL the way back today in just 6 hours pontoon to mooring in Balvicar, including sailing through Easdale and Cuan sounds.

Apart from the boom falling off in Tobermory Bay when we took the main down on arrival (broken gooseneck) it was a trouble-free shakedown cruise. We sailed all the way home with the boom lashed on with dyneema - great stuff.

I would have thought hemp rather than Dyneema fer an auld cludgie like yersel'
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 41C

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Mon May 16, 2016 7:33 pm

wully wrote:Since Im just over the hill from Groovee Craobhee it would be rude not to come and say hello...

Indeed it would be because so many do not understand oil men, the drinking, the huge incidents of colossal financial encumbrance for the want of an O ring, alimony, young woman and foreign climes and dark nights of loss and lonelyism; been the ruin of us, I say, so lets drink to that.
BlowingOldBoots

What time does the 24hour garage close?
http://www.rivalowners.org.uk

Mavanier
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Moody 39, Deb 33, Wayfarer, Wanderer

Postby Mavanier » Tue May 17, 2016 2:07 pm

What are your plans for this year Nick? We hope to make it to SY as usual but have yet to try sailing with the wee one. On the plus side, we are both free of work commitments for the whole year so, for once, that won't stop us.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Tue May 17, 2016 11:49 pm

Mavanier wrote:What are your plans for this year Nick? We hope to make it to SY as usual but have yet to try sailing with the wee one. On the plus side, we are both free of work commitments for the whole year so, for once, that won't stop us.

Catherine has taken three weeks off work to sail to Stornoway with me and I have purchased two tickets for the whole of HebCeltFest. Sadly she is a wage slave at the moment, so the remainder of my sailing is likely to be restricted to long weekends and maybe the occasional skippered charter for money.
- Nick 8)

wully
Yellow Admiral

Postby wully » Wed May 18, 2016 5:45 pm

BlowingOldBoots wrote:
wully wrote:Since Im just over the hill from Groovee Craobhee it would be rude not to come and say hello...

Indeed it would be because so many do not understand oil men, the drinking, the huge incidents of colossal financial encumbrance for the want of an O ring, alimony, young woman and foreign climes and dark nights of loss and lonelyism; been the ruin of us, I say, so lets drink to that.

Nobody said it would be easy in the patch..

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Wed May 18, 2016 5:47 pm

Wullyum
are you around next Mon- Wed?
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

wully
Yellow Admiral

Postby wully » Thu May 19, 2016 4:15 pm

claymore wrote:Wullyum
are you around next Mon- Wed?

Nup..30th. Slumming it in your favourite place until then.

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Postby DaveS » Sat May 21, 2016 12:13 pm

BlowingOldBoots wrote:
So when I get to Craobh Haven, I hope I don't have to drink by myself, although that wont stop me. Look for the small, bald, fat Scotsman with a drink in one hand, a zombie novel in the other and wearing a tinfoil hat, you are all welcome for a cup of tea or a glass or 2 of Uisge beatha.

As a Craobh berthee I will take you up on that - and reciprocate. Avilion is berthed on D16.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”