New sails in Scotland

Forum for general cruising topics
pagoda
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Jeanneau 42iPerformance

Re: New sails in Scotland

Postby pagoda » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:08 pm

I didn't go local when we bought new sails a few years ago. Getting away from a baggy genoa was the main driver.
We went for Hyde, as several decent Hyde dinghy sails have come our way over the years.
A tri radial genny with foam in the luff has vastly improved pointing ability, hugely better than the old sail even with the backstay cranked down.
We decided on the same cloth for the main a year later, loose footed, fully battened - all the battens are full length. In a small dinghy getting the power off is not so easy with full battens, but it never proved much of an issue at yacht size sails. They draw well in light airs and are resistant to flapping in stronger winds, even when threatening to luff up. I would not go back to a conventional sail batten style. We don't motor sail much, but the main behaves OK and provides some extra drive.
We ordered in October for a spring delivery and found some decent discounts.

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Postby DaveS » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:05 pm

aquaplane wrote:Owens have sent their quote today. It looked OK on the , pay a bit more and get a better sail front until I noticed it was plus VAT.

They have recommended that the top two battens are full length, it stops the sail flogging when motorsaiing and gives longer life, I must say it sounded a good idea at the time, 'till I saw the price. I admit I haven't been over convenienced by motorsailing 15° off the wind to stop the main flapping about, even when I wanted to go dead to windward.

Has anyone else got the fully battened top bit arrangement? How do you find it?

It'll be interesting to see what BL has to say in the morning.

My mainsail was made by Owens and the top two battens are full length. The top one is no problem, but the longer second top one would, I think, benefit from having a batten car fitted as per Gardenshed's comment. The sail slide is under compression, clearly doesn't like it, and occasionally jams while hoisting. I do think the full length battens improve the shape of the top of the sail.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:41 pm

I love our fully battened main apart from the odd time when it snags in the lazy jacks when you are sailing solo and on autopilot. Or indeed when Para is steering.....
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

pagoda
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Jeanneau 42iPerformance

Postby pagoda » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:47 pm

claymore wrote:I love our fully battened main apart from the odd time when it snags in the lazy jacks when you are sailing solo and on autopilot. Or indeed when Para is steering.....

Agree.. :) you do need to look up all through a main hoist, or something might snag. Small price to pay for the differenece!!

Shuggy
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nic 43

Postby Shuggy » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:08 pm

Pete Cooper wrote:I would suggest Crusader - I have not used them but they get good reviews. I suspect that Saturn and Owen will both cost a fair bit more.
I also note something from a quote that they sent me "Don't forget too that we can visit your boat in most UK locations and our Dacron and Hydranet sails are guaranteed for 5 years with a first year free of charge service" so they may be able to do the measurement as well.

Just make sure you've done your research. For example, you might like to do some searches on ybw.com. I have used them and wouldn't do so again.
---
Shuggy

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:38 pm

Shuggy wrote:Just make sure you've done your research. For example, you might like to do some searches on ybw.com. I have used them and wouldn't do so again.

I think I need more options. Crusader look OK on price but quality may be suspect. Owens look good on quality but feck me, the price is a bit steep. Billy boy still hasn't got his finger out, he hasn't even produced a bill for valeting the sails he has had, and someone else has told me two more tales of woe.

Researching again.

One thing is certain, after the beat from Millport to Tarbert on Saturday, we need a new main.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Fri May 06, 2016 9:51 pm

well, I finally got a quote from Bill Leitch, it's the dearest by £200+

The Saturn and Owens come in about the same price on a like for like basis and I was in Largs for John to measure Seminole today so I went with Saturn.

Only the top batten will be full length. The sail will be loose footed which is a change but I'm told it should be better.

So now a wait of 5 weeks to see what Seminole's new frock looks like.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

lady_stormrider
Sailing Widow
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace 1000

Postby lady_stormrider » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:09 pm

Well, five weeks have come and gone with the only activity being a request for the balance outstanding and it's now 9 weeks later
Became a full-time sailor at the end of May

ParaHandy
Old Salt

Postby ParaHandy » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:11 am

aquaplane wrote:I think I need more options. Crusader look OK on price but quality may be suspect. Owens look good on quality but feck me, the price is a bit steep. Billy boy still hasn't got his finger out, he hasn't even produced a bill for valeting the sails he has had, and someone else has told me two more tales of woe.

There are few sailmakers left hereabouts; they're all order takers for some far eastern enterprises and my recent experience of the slanty eyed ones is that a written-in-stone dimension is actually something to aim at if possible.

lady_stormrider
Sailing Widow

Postby lady_stormrider » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:57 pm

You are also at the mercy of ordering what you think is a certain standard of rip-stop nylon then a sail turning up made out of goodness only what.

lady_stormrider
Sailing Widow

Postby lady_stormrider » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:49 pm

Update: sail delivered by Saturn at Largs - need some bigger sliders on the Luff but she has her new designer outfit

Return to “Shooting the breeze”