Moorings

Forum for general cruising topics
trev
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Colvic Watson 35

Re: Moorings

Postby trev » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:44 pm

So many potential problems. I will have to use Plan B - Pay a professional to install the mooring, make sure the boat is insured to live on a mooring and if any of the possible disasters occurs, including 3rd party claims - let the insurers worry about it. Its all far too complicated for me to worry about, seem to be an infinite variety of potential disasters. Life is too short.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Re: Moorings

Postby claymore » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:24 am

aquaplane wrote:
claymore wrote:Personally, I think it is advisable to use an approved contractor. The cost isn't prohibitive and the peace of mind is more valuable. Moorings are heavy and can be tricky especially in a tideway. A colleague of mine almost perished checking a mooring and he was a cautious knowledgeable man - the risks really do outweigh other considerations.
When a mooring association tells you who to use, perhaps it should be interpreted as advice and as such, well intentioned - not draconian.
If my boat were to be damaged by another whose mooring had parted, had they had that mooring serviced professionally, I think I would take a more kindly stance than if some have a go merchant had made a hash of things.

I agree with all you say, I am happy to use North West Marine, I don't have the skills to do other wise.

But if I was a diver with all the gear and a good idea, I would at least want to do inspections even if I had to get NWM in to do the work replacing worn gear.

I agree about the suitability of a place with no existing moorings too, there is probably a good reason.
There are quite a few off Fort William Yacht Club though, we spent a night on one some years ago.

Did you walk out to it?
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Return to “Shooting the breeze”