Intro

Forum for general cruising topics
trev
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Colvic Watson 35

Intro

Postby trev » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:44 am

Hi Everyone

Just an intro - Name is Trevor - answer to Trev (or hey you) Location is Nth Yorkshire but (hopefully) soon to be Western Scotland.

At present have a gaff rigged Colvic Watson 35 Ketch which I occasionally get time to sail. Soon to go on sale - replacement yet to be decided. Been sailing for about 20 years. Previous boats Parker 31 and 20ft trailer sailor. Boat presently at North Tyneside.

have 2 (allegedly) grown up kids and 2 Labradors.

And thats about it

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Re: Intro

Postby claymore » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:50 pm

Welcome Trev,
Don't sell the Colvic until you've used her on the west coast - ideal boat as we get the occasional shower...
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

trev
Able Seaman

Postby trev » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:04 pm

Its a thought. I had heard the rumour that there was occasional heavy condensation in those parts. I intended relying on the principle that the Lord smiles upon the rightious.

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:26 pm

Welcome
Some years I wonder which side of the waterline saw more water!
Colvic nice boat for these parts.
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

trev
Able Seaman

Re: Decisions decisions

Postby trev » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:43 pm

Maybe I should hang on to the old girl (boat not SWMBO). Down side is the gaff rig. Going to weather is not really a strong point, and its quite heavy work heaving up the main wooden gaff and the Colvic hull isn't the best to weather either. Add to that the 130hp diesel making motoring expensive and a change seemed a good idea. Upside is the internal space and comfort, and a lovely wheelhouse. Hmmmmmmm.

I used to be decisive, but I'm not too sure now.

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 41C

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:57 pm

Welcome Trev to the forum. Lots of good information and centuries, or is it millennia of West Coast experience to be found here. I, being a youngster, find it all a bit drifting around at times but ask a direct question and you will get a forthright answer.

Hope you enjoy the forum.

Alastair
BlowingOldBoots

What time does the 24hour garage close?
http://www.rivalowners.org.uk

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Postby cpedw » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:20 pm

BlowingOldBoots wrote: you will get a forthright answer.

Sometimes, you'll get the right answer.
Derek

trev
Able Seaman

Postby trev » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:35 am

I must say that finding the right answer is not too difficult - the really tricky bit is finding the right question. Perhaps I will take Olive North and see how it goes. I can always put her on sale up there if I still feel like a change. Also it seems a bit much selling house and boat at same time. Its amazing really, I've lived here for almost 30 years with very few problems with the house, considering it dates back to 1884 isn't bad. Since putting the place on sale about 3 weeks ago we've had electrical problems in the garage, a blocked drain and only yesterday a water leak in bathroom which has stained the washroom ceiling. So now I have to fix the plumbing and re-paint the ceiling. These things are supposed to come in threes - I'm just hoping that having to sack the estate agent counts as the third.

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:58 am

'Things' have an uncanny habit of knowing you are about to dispose of them. I can think of cars especially faulting expensively after overhearing a conversation about their successor, similar to your house.
Listen Trev, what I'm really trying to say is that Olive may have even more diabastrical plans up her shaft log if she catches wind of what's afoot.
It doesn't take long for comfort below decks to trump sailing ability up here - the weather dictates that - and distances can be pretty short between good stopovers.
Did we see a pic of Olive under full sail while tied to a jetty a few years back?
Welcome to the house of fun by the way.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:41 pm

sahona wrote:Did we see a pic of Olive under full sail while tied to a jetty a few years back?

Just what I was thinking.

different colours made of tears

trev
Able Seaman

Olive

Postby trev » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:12 pm

Yes - thats the old girl - in all her glory. Where did the picture come from? don't think I took it. Think my problem may be my previous boat being a Parker 31 which sailed beautifully - fast, responsive and beautifully balanced - Olive doesn't! Weighed against that is a warm dry wheelhouse, lots of internal space, good supply of cabins for privacy (and sulking). The gaff rig is a down-side too - really does not sail very well so end up motoring more than I would like, and 130hp 6 cylinder jobby slurps diesel. I used to be decisive but I'm not sure now. If I sell its going to cost for replacement - and at a very bad time for spending with house move imminent. Its unlikely I could get another Parker, and don't really fancy one of the French boats - nice though they undoubtedly are.

Think for the time being I'll do nothing - see what develops.

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Re: Olive

Postby Silkie » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:30 pm

trev wrote:Yes - thats the old girl - in all her glory. Where did the picture come from? don't think I took it.

Hmm. Might this jog your memory?

Favourite pic of your boat
different colours made of tears

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:24 pm

Hi Trevor, I'm sure Olive will be a great asset on the west coast and look forward to seeing you in the area.

PM sent

Return to “Shooting the breeze”