Driving in snow

Forum for general cruising topics
NorthUp2
Able Seaman
Boat Type: colvic

Driving in snow

Postby NorthUp2 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:45 pm

I have just driven from Inverness to Aberdeen (via Elgin :wink: ) there is about an inch of snow on the road at one of the long crawler lane uphill sections- cars all over the place, drivers slowing to a crawl at the bottom of the hill, hazard lights on.... Have these people never heard of momentum? Who teaches them to drive like this? The car in front of me, a corsa, climbed the hill no problem, as did the one behind me so why are there about a dozen cars sitting spinning wheels? Is it all these wide and low profile tyres?
Rant over, thanks for reading!

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Re: Driving in snow

Postby sahona » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:35 pm

Yep, possibly the 'fat tyre' fashion comes to grief in a light covering. Maybe instead of fitting the chains (which are still in the garage - or worse Halfords) why not fit the skinny spare to one of the driving wheels and keep an eye on the traction control system? I think this is when diesels come into their own -low rev grunt with no stall.. Anyone who's science teacher told them how ice-skates work will know about the anomalous expansion of water and why ice is sometimes slippy and other times sticky. And still they revvvvvvvvvv.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:54 am

I seem to remember that Saabs were so successful in snowy rallies because of their narrow wheels. That and drivers like Eric Carlsson.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:39 am

I moved to Scotland from Iceland where we had snow a little more of the year than here in Scotland.
Winter tyres were compulsory. On a certain date all change! But more important is technique. Driving ultra slow is suicide. So is revving the engine and spinning the tyres. And we used to say that the safe distance to follow another is to allow enough space to spin a 360 degree turn between you and them, and that's about right. Yet we see people driving on ice a car's length from the one in front. Those two severe snow winters we had back a few years, I didn't have winter tyres, drove to work every day along back roads often unploughed, and hardly had a problem. The two occasions I did get stuck (car bottomed out), the shovel in my boot was the answer. Supporting rant also over.
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:46 pm

My winter tyres were ordered for Saturday. They didn't arrive. My sets of snow chains from previous vehicles don't fit the new tank..On Sunday I drove over the Rest in a blizzard in a rear wheel car notorious for being less than stellar in snow.
I kept a hundred meters distance from the FWD car crawling along in front, if that choob had slowed any more I'd have had to pass him or get out and push.( Vauxhall heap)

Winter driving should be part of the driving test instead of those stupid hazard ID pictures..

SteveN
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Minster 37

Postby SteveN » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:11 am

We leave snowflake-marked winter tyres on one car all year round as we have a steep unadopted track to climb to reach the lanes. A diesel Renault Clio on snow tyres has proved to be a far more capable winter vehicle than all our neighbours 4x4s on their over-wide tyres - it'll pull through pretty much anything as long as it doesn't get beached.

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:46 pm

When I lived in the Alps the best car for winter was a 2CV....

The Hoorays in Range Rovers were all over the place while Pierre chugged on by, especially down hill when the hoorays learned four wheel drive skids just as much as two.

blackpig
Able Seaman
Boat Type: gaff cutter

Postby blackpig » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:54 pm

Best fun I have had in the snow a motorcycle cx 500 with a side car. Standing on the back pegs bouncing up and down to increase traction. Fab fun

Return to “Shooting the breeze”