Stonemouth

Forum for general cruising topics
jhr
Able Seaman
Boat Type: small mobo

Stonemouth

Postby jhr » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:19 am

I don't often post in here, but you are obviously the guys to know the answer to this question.

I watched the first instalment of the TV adaptation of Iain Banks' Stonemouth last night. Seems OK, though I don't think anything will ever match the adaptation of The Crow Road, some years ago. It was obviously filmed in a small fishing port with a marina and a large-ish suspension bridge. Can anyone tell me where it is, and/or a bit more about it?

SteveN
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Minster 37

Re: Stonemouth

Postby SteveN » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:50 am

I think it was Inverness wasn't it. It looked like the hard/boatyard at the marina there and the Kessock Bridge anyway.

Flobbets
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Westerly Pageant and Pentland

Postby Flobbets » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:50 pm

Dunno about a suspension bridge (I've not watched it yet but got it recorded) but a lot of it is set in Macduff. Apparently there's a 5 second glimpse of our old RS Feva!
Mike

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:06 pm

I thought that it was a suspension bridge but the Kessock Bridge is a cable stayed bridge.

I watched about 15 mins of the programme but got distracted by a nature programme which turned out to be quite good.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:47 pm

What channel was it on?

Hope I can watch it on the 'Aye' Player...

SteveN
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Minster 37

Postby SteveN » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:28 pm

aquaplane wrote:I thought that it was a suspension bridge but the Kessock Bridge is a cable stayed bridge.

You're no wrong there. It appears to have been Port Edgar and the Forth Bridge all along..

Stonemouth

Port Edgar

jhr
Able Seaman

Postby jhr » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:57 pm

I guess it's like all these things - bits of it were filmed in different locations, depending on the needs of the production. Mr Google says Macduff (I thought he was the Thane of Fife? :)) but presumably that was for the scenes set in the Town itself, with the waterfront stuff done elsewhere.

Wully: it was on Channel 4 so it should be available on 4OD (or whatever they call it now) in perpetuity....(Edit: actually, it was on BBC1: how could I have got that wrong? so iPlayer it is. For a while).

Aja
Old Salt
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby Aja » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:48 pm

Havn't watched myself...".
... Some of it was filmed in the Royal Northern and Clyde Yacht Club clubhouse.

Regards
Donald

Mercian
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Rival32

Postby Mercian » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:43 pm

jhr wrote:I guess it's like all these things - bits of it were filmed in different locations, depending on the needs of the production. Mr Google says Macduff (I thought he was the Thane of Fife? :)) but presumably that was for the scenes set in the Town itself, with the waterfront stuff done elsewhere.

Wully: it was on Channel 4 so it should be available on 4OD (or whatever they call it now) in perpetuity....(Edit: actually, it was on BBC1: how could I have got that wrong? so iPlayer it is. For a while).

BBC 2 Actually. I don't personally know the area but I recognised some of it from Mr Winter's wanderings in the area.

jhr
Able Seaman

Postby jhr » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:03 am

Mercian wrote:BBC 2 Actually. I don't personally know the area but I recognised some of it from Mr Winter's wanderings in the area.

Blimey; I was obviously anointed with the moron stick yesterday :). In my defence, I was making a cup of tea when it started, and Mrs jhr had switched channels to watch it, so I was bereft of the usual signifiers :D.

Bodach na mara
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Westerly Seahawk

Postby Bodach na mara » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:22 pm

It seems to have been shot all over the place. I recognised bits of Gourock and the Greenock esplanade.
Ken

fairy nuff
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Sun Odyssey 40.3

Postby fairy nuff » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:07 pm

All over the place indeed. Quite fun trying to spot the locations. There was a scene in episode two in Irvine beside the tide gauge.

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:32 pm

Is it worth watching, or capturing in the BBC iPlayer doodah?

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:28 am

It wiz brullyant. Get it on Wully's Aye player - it was on Beeb 2 there's still availability for another couple of weeks.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

jhr
Able Seaman

Postby jhr » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:10 pm

claymore wrote:It wiz brullyant. Get it on Wully's Aye player - it was on Beeb 2 there's still availability for another couple of weeks.

I thought it was good although (as previously mentioned) not on a par with The Crow Road, which was one of the best TV adaptations of a book that I have ever seen.

Well worth eating up some bandwidth for.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”