How my boat has shrunk

Forum for general cruising topics
marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

How my boat has shrunk

Postby marisca » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:59 pm

40 years ago - is it really that long? - I thought 8mCRs and even Contessa 32s were big boats, far out of my league. I have just meandered back to the Clyde frae Oban and seem to have seen nothing but 40+ footer plastic fantastics mostly under engine. Some of these are real monsters, not so much in length perhaps, but definitely in beam.
Strange thing is I don't feel jealous, in fact I sometimes think I would be better in something a wee bit smaller and I really enjoy my time communing with wind and sea (except when it's cold and peeing it down). I can't imagine as much pleasure in one of yon big things but that may just be 'cos I have no imagination.

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Re: How my boat has shrunk

Postby aquaplane » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:26 pm

I sometimes miss a bit of waterline length/boat speed but there is no way I could buy a 40' boat or run it so I stick to 4kt passages, a bit more on a good day. No point wishing I had somat that won't happen.

Having a modest boat keeps the visitors away too, so it's not all bad :D
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

pagoda
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Jeanneau 42iPerformance

Postby pagoda » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:58 pm

marisca wrote:40 years ago - is it really that long? - I thought 8mCRs and even Contessa 32s were big boats, far out of my league. I have just meandered back to the Clyde frae Oban and seem to have seen nothing but 40+ footer plastic fantastics mostly under engine. Some of these are real monsters, not so much in length perhaps, but definitely in beam.
Strange thing is I don't feel jealous, in fact I sometimes think I would be better in something a wee bit smaller and I really enjoy my time communing with wind and sea (except when it's cold and peeing it down). I can't imagine as much pleasure in one of yon big things but that may just be 'cos I have no imagination.

I have not been on the WestCoast this year, but I found the same experience in Norway last summer. Almost all the sailboats are new, 40ft plus. In mast reefing, biminis etc etc. Motor everywhere at 7Kts....
Ours is 35ft and 27years old. She does us fine, and having less freeboard than modern stuff is easy to get off and berth. I know the newer boats have 6ft headroom inside, and IKEA designed furniture, but I don't fancy the extra windage and beam, and the fees... Not too jealous!

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:42 am

I quite enjoy seeing how little diesel I can use in a season, by sailing our 41 year old 32 footer about. I often wonder what some of the see though hull current models will be like at 40 years old. There's a real enjoyment in some older boats, though sometimes I admit to a tinge of temporary envy when seeing some luxury monster motoring past.
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath in winter, Mooring off Gourock in summer.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:30 am

I enjoy the odd cruise in a modern 40+ footer, but I get paid for it.

There is no way I could ever justify owning one, even if I won the lottery.
- Nick 8)

Mercian
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Rival32

Postby Mercian » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:55 pm

The largest boat I have sailed was a Sadler Barracuda, 45ft I think, I remember it was quick! Likewise I could justify owning a boat of this size. I do all my own maintenance etc and decided some time ago that 32ft was about the maximum I could maintain on my own and still have time for sailing.

My boat takes me everywhere I want to go and will be more than adequate when I take round the UK once I can stop having to work!

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:40 pm

Had an acute attack of two-foot-itis (actually more like 4or5-foot-itis probably) this morning while trying to beat up against the tide and F5.

On balance though you can have as much fun on a 22 as anything else - it's just different fun. You can't go to windward in a gale (unless you're lucky enough to sail an Anderson) but getting all you can from the wind when it's within your boat's performance envelope is much the same whether you sail an Optimist or a J.

The next sermon will be in approximately three hours time.

:tiphat:
different colours made of tears

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:40 am

I've often admired the lines of the Endurances. Traditional look about them, low lying, take a sea, and above all, deck saloon for sitting out wet cold evenings in our northern climes. Shard is a great boat for its age but you can feel more than a wee bit "shut in" when below at night. A bigger boat would suit us for sailing with children/grandchildren.

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:08 pm

In one of the Yotty mags I was reading today they had a review of a new 31 foot Dufour. With twin wheels....
iMHO twin wheels look stupid on anything less than a Vovlo 60. On this it was just naff.. I'd not like to be out when it was rough in one. - or any of its bigger cousins. I'd feel pretty exposed in those huge, open cockpits and the thought of how high you would be when heeled over- and how far you'd fall if you slipped.. Maybe that's why they motor everywhere?

I would run a bigger boat if I sailed more but right now 33 ft is plenty. If I could afford it there is no way I'd buy a recent AWB as they are very cheaply and poorly built with awful square interiors full of nothing but space and flimsy furniture which doesn't look like it will last.

I'll be sticking to mah wee Moody.

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:41 pm

wully wrote:I'll be sticking to mah wee Moody.

We'd be interested in the 38' version of your Moody, but they're like hens' teeth.

Aja
Old Salt
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby Aja » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:45 pm

There was one for sale at last years Kip show. Went aboard for a look-see. It had everything but space/layout wasn't for us. Expensive for a 38' boat too £98k if I remember. Think we'll just stick with the 346. Big enough

Donald

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:49 pm

Shard wrote:
wully wrote:I'll be sticking to mah wee Moody.

We'd be interested in the 38' version of your Moody, but they're like hens' teeth.

Kind of like them but the heads positioning is a complete waste of space and your right- they are as rare as rocking horse sh1t

For good reason...

Return to “Shooting the breeze”